What are some good meal replacement bars?

link_

Veteran X
I am trying to have my mom send some over to me so that I when I am traveling I can throw a dozen in my backpack and save myself a ton of money on food. I had one from REI over christmas break that was awesome but I can't remember the name of it. I need exact names and whatnot to make this as easy on my mom as possible.

I guess if all else fails I could ask her to send over an assortment of powerbars, but those aren't really meal replacement bars.

Help me TW you are my only hope.:)

Tigersmilk but i think its more of a powerbar....i dont know about meal replacement bars besides crap like the slim fast things

You aren't going to save money on food by using bars if you're even somewhat active.

I get Balance bars as snacks to carry in my pack, but to even approach the sort of calories required for a "meal" would be about $18.

There are far cheaper ways to eat.

You aren't going to save money on food by using bars if you're even somewhat active.

I get Balance bars as snacks to carry in my pack, but to even approach the sort of calories required for a "meal" would be about $18.

Well anything to help offset the cost of buying food over here would be awesome. Also, I am trying to get my mom to send this stuff over so as long as its semi-reasonable I think I can swing it ;)

The "meal replacement" bar I had from REI was something like 600 calories--thats not too bad.

try to do everything you can to avoid meal replacement bars, real food is far superior

but if you MUST have some, i always found meso-tech bars (especially the peanut butter crisp ones, o jesus) to be delicious

if you decide to get them, make sure you have ample liquid available to aid in chewing (they aren't dry, just chewy as fuck)

Do they have any Aldi stores there? If so, go buy a shit ton of food for cheap.

I haven't seen this store anywhere :shrug:. The popular "food" stores here in die Sweiss are Coop and Denner afaik. All of my meals are included during the week and on the scheduled group trips...but we travel alot on our own on the weekends and thats where I want to save money. Most hostels have a decent breakfast that I load up on (and take some to-go ;)) but lunch and dinner and/or snacks are fucking expensive here--even the cheaper food stands/restraunts we are talking AT LEAST 8CHF a pop...and thats not "alot" but it adds up and I am on a budget.

This is true.

For a bit of an energy boost when I'm too busy and I need the calories, I usually go with CLIF bars.

I haven't seen this store anywhere :shrug:. The popular "food" stores here in die Sweiss are Coop and Denner afaik. All of my meals are included during the week and on the scheduled group trips...but we travel alot on our own on the weekends and thats where I want to save money. Most hostels have a decent breakfast that I load up on (and take some to-go ;)) but lunch and dinner and/or snacks are fucking expensive here--even the cheaper food stands/restraunts we are talking AT LEAST 8CHF a pop...and thats not "alot" but it adds up and I am on a budget.
So why don't you just get couscous or something?

You'd save a lot of money, it takes nothing to make, takes up no room, tastes better than bars, and would be a hell of a lot more filling.

This of course assumes that you have access to running water and some sort of heating device. But I'm pretty sure the Swiss have invented fire, so you'd be OK. If not you can go over to Germany--I know they have fire.

Germany also has Aldi stores, where you can buy a shit ton of food for cheap.
I'm pretty sure that you have to be in the military in order to go to stores in Germany. The military is always prioritized.

Regular people practice sustenance farming.

I wasn't really trying to "buy" stuff over here. Half of the point of asking my mom to send me stuff is so that SHE buys it over there. Otherwise I would have to pay for it...and lets face it--that shits lame.

I wish someone bought my food.

;)

I paid my way over here and saved up all of the money I plan on spending over here. Its just common sense to ask my mom for food (cuz she misses me enough to send it over ;)). Why spend money when I don't have to?

Back