Does Wal-Mart have the cheapest prices?

Flash

Veteran XX
Got into a debate earlier on whether wal-mart actually sells cheaper items or just has a bigger margin for profitability as a result of importing goods from China. Does anybody know of any credible sources that have done a price comparison of wal-mart versus other retails super stores?

Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes they aren't cheaper. I've found the same thing at K-mart for less before.

DVDs are cheaper at Best Buy/Circuit City.

It just depends.

Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes they aren't cheaper. I've found the same thing at K-mart for less before.

DVDs are cheaper at Best Buy/Circuit City.

It just depends.

Talking about averages... On the whole, does Wal-Mart provide cheaper products than other retail chains?

Plus you have to decide if we're ruling out the warehouse clubs.

Samsclub is owned by Walmart. So someone can always come in here saying they buy the stuff at Sams, even if it means buying in bulk.

But I think for the purpose of this argument, the OP means retail stores like Kmart, Target, BB, Sears, JCP, and Brandsmart.

local competition matters most

when wal mart is competing with mom&pops, kmart, circuit city, etc, they often have the lowest prices on just about everything

when they are the only game in town their prices tend to rise

Talking about averages... On the whole, does Wal-Mart provide cheaper products than other retail chains?
For things other than electronics they've always had the lowest price on things I've compared. I wouldn't buy a computer or HDTV there unless it was some Black Friday deal because you're guaranteed to find them cheaper elsewhere. The only advantage they have over online retailers is saving on shipping. Anything you order through their website can be shipped to the store for free.

a lot of stuff actually costs more at walmart. not like a give a shit, i don't go near that hillbilly infested shithole.

i honestly didn't know how much trailer trash my town had until they built a walmart there. that is, unless they migrated up here just for that reason.

Opinions really don't help the solve the argument. Credible sources showing actual price comparisons would...

penn and teller's 'bullshit' has an episode in the fifth season about how it's stupid to say that walmart is evil. kinda makes sense. i dont like shopping there, because of the people that shop there and a lot of their products are pretty poor quality.

The only thing I buy from Walmart are grooming things, shampoo, facewash, soap, razors, doedorant, contact solution etc etc. It's all 1/3 cheaper than target, and about 1/2 the price of a grocery store.

You can bring competitors' coupons, ads, fliers, etc to them and they'll match the price as long as it's listed for that week. I think most stores are doing that now.

Opinions really don't help the solve the argument. Credible sources showing actual price comparisons would...
Do your own research. I have compared prices in the past and I didn't save links to all the sources just in case you made this thread.

in my younger days i worked at a grocery store which is only in texas\mexico(or was) and walmart had been trying to buy out for years. Walmart DOES have lower prices on grocery items.

1. distrobution system was far superior

2. and a more recent reason, walmart has such a high market share that they can force manufacturers to sell at lower prices.

Most people don't realize grocery stores lease out product space. Coors and frito lay and such pay for shelf space to put their product. Everyone wants their product in walmart, and walmart forces them to sell at lower prices to get there.

Generally comparing prices with different name brands would require looking up tons of manufacturing information which would take way to long... That is why I'm looking for somebody who has already done the research

I have been boycotting walmart since birth. I encourage you all to do the same.

I personally don't think it's much cheaper but for certain items like paper goods and cleaning products and misc stuff it's way less than most of my local supermarkets. As far as food stuff it varies from week to week depending on sales at the others.

Regardless I shop at super walmarts for groceries and sams club. Then I use local supermarket for misc shit I forget.

City Market is usually cheaper than Wal-Mart (e.g. 1 tube of Pringles is $1.00 at City Market, but $1.45 at Durango Wal-Mart as of last Saturday), but they only sell grocery store shit. It's also way, way higher quality product (especially in produce and meats) than what Wal-Mart offers.

51I9LssmKqL._AA240_.jpg

Wal-Mart is in fact so powerful that they have made FOX change their DVD box-sets format a couple of years ago for their TV series to "slimer" box-sets so they can fit more in a shelf + more can be stored in a shipping box. (The 24 TV series comes to mind). FOX had no other way to obey.

Other studios followed.

Yes... Wal-Mart can even control packaging of products.

Back