Crysis = 87,000 For 2007, UT3 = 40,000, Did VUG Cry Chicken Too Soon With T:V?

Miracle

Veteran X
Since T:V only selling 47,000 copies in its first quarter was basically the death knell of the Tribes Series . . . I'm not sure if I can call it sweet revenge that Unreal Tournament III (by all accounts a much larger franchise) did no better in 2007.

I bet you Epic won't cancel the Unreal franchise due to poor sales. (Though having bought UT3 I can affirm it is a buggy piece of shit betaware that I won't be able to play until six more months of patches).

Did VUG cry chicken too soon with the Tribes franchise?

Crysis, which is a very good game, and Call of Duty both sold less than 100,000 on the PC in 2007.

Last edited:
I jumped onto UT3 Demo last night. There were around 25 servers. Every server had 24 of 24 players playing. I think your numbers are wrong. I also think you're comparing T:V's numbers ( after it's death ) to UT3's numbers ( three months after it's release ).

I jumped onto UT3 Demo last night. There were around 25 servers. Every server had 24 of 24 players playing. I think your numbers are wrong. I also think you're comparing T:V's numbers ( after it's death ) to UT3's numbers ( three months after it's release ).

Weren't most of T:V's numbers from its first quarter tho? It can be said with reasonable accuracy that T:V was in the neighborhood of 40,000 after three months and UT3 is in the neighborhood of 80,000 non-online sales in the same period.

Of course at the time it was against HL2 and Doom 3 which were both doing much better than any PC game did in 2007 . . . so that could have made VUG's standard of success more greedy.

Weren't most of T:V's numbers from its first quarter tho? It can be said with reasonable accuracy that T:V was in the neighborhood of 40,000 after three months and UT3 is in the neighborhood of 80,000 non-online sales in the same period.

Of course at the time it was against HL2 and Doom 3 which were both doing much better than any PC game did in 2007 . . . so that could have made VUG's standard of success more greedy.

You're probably right, since T:V was dead a month after it's release.

t:v would not have done well no matter what games were also being released at the time

its just a bad game

UT3 sold 40,000 copies.......in 2 weeks after its release in november. not all of 2007.

bioshock was built on a base of the T:V engine (you can see references to T:V in the scripts in bioshock) - but heavily upgraded to UE3 (t:v was UE 2.5)

Last edited:
i don't think UT3 is even out for XBOX360 yet either

dunno how much it'll sell on there, though.. but XBOX live seems much better than whatever the hell PS3 has going for it (i dont have a PS3 so i dont really know)

UT3 had bad marketing this time around. I read PC Gamer, and hell, I didn't even know UT3 was out until I was out and about xmas shopping.

i don't think UT3 is even out for XBOX360 yet either

dunno how much it'll sell on there, though.. but XBOX live seems much better than whatever the hell PS3 has going for it (i dont have a PS3 so i dont really know)

You mean free online gaming with no drawbacks?

xbox live is basically free

50 bucks a year, how cheap are some of these people complaining about it

factor in the ut3 console sales

Or the fact that it's basically a tech demo for their engine that they make for fun. Epic makes their primary $$$ from licenses.

That said, i doubt the sales for UT3 are what's being represented here. Indeed, 1.5 month PC sales were probably low but it has to be seen in context (and nobody wants to play these types of games anymore)

Last edited:
Back