Why PS3's power will shine in 2008

GlassShadow

Veteran X
Original Article

Fallout 3s Executive Producer Todd Howard - from Oblivion developer Bethesda - understands that PS3 has more than enough power. No single game is using it all yet - not even close. Back at E3 in July 07, Mercenaries 2 Lead Designer Scott Warner claimed their game was only using 30% of PS3s power - while EAs Chief Visual Officer Glenn Entis claimed their launch games like Fight Night 3 only tapped 20%.
\r\n\r\nSome (big name) developers are starting to praise the machine (accessibility/performance/support) than rubbish it\'s architecture, with some developers already claiming to have doubled the performance already with their future engines.

People who say 30% are paid by Sony to say that.

First: If they make all games load to the Hard Drive first, that alone will double performance, after a lengthly load time, because you then bypass the slow read rate of Blue Ray.

After that, you can load your game with lots of particle effects and physics, as the processor can handle all that.

The limitation then only will be the video card, which Ultimately is never going to produce that much greater graphics then that of the Xbox 360. But again, if you do as much as possible of the processor end, that polish will go a long way in stunning the viewer.

I think anyone who doesn't acknowledge the power of the cell architecture is a fool. Just do a bit of Wikipedia research and you'll soon understand that this is probably the future of mankind.

Humans only used 10% of their brain in 2007. I think the power of the human brain will shine in 2008 as well.

Does it make it 30% more fun if you increase the resource usage from 30% to 60%?

All that being said, with Blu-ray gaining momentum and the PS3 FINALLY getting some must have games out, I'm betting the PS3 will at least compete with the 360 and Wii this year.

In fact, if all the studios go Blu-Ray, I could see myself owning a PS3 by 2009.

Its a good system. My only regrets was buying it when I did. But, at the time MGS4 was slated for a November release and Little Big Planet was coming in January. Warhawk is fun and truly worth the buy. I felt kind of jewed when I saw the 80gb version and the price drop but when I saw that it did not have the PS2 chip I was happy I have the early one. With the games coming out this year PS3 will be undeniably a system worth owning.

That being said. PC > Console.

Editing in that one thing people do not discuss that often is the future of Linux on the PS3. Seeing how people took a relatively closed box system like the original X-Box and made the masterpiece that is XBMC, I can only imagine, once PS3 has a decent market share, what kind of distro's will be available for it. Maybe sony will even open up the GPU and allow it to run PC games. Would be incredible.

Last edited:
Editing in that one thing people do not discuss that often is the future of Linux on the PS3. Seeing how people took a relatively closed box system like the original X-Box and made the masterpiece that is XBMC, I can only imagine, once PS3 has a decent market share, what kind of distro's will be available for it. Maybe sony will even open up the GPU and allow it to run PC games. Would be incredible.
Linux was available on the Xbox, but XBMC is not Linux-based. Plus it was developed using a leaked version of the actual Xbox SDK, developing for which isn't too different from developing for Windows on a normal PC. So yeah, all in all the comparison is weird.

My bad, I do not own an xbox and was working off second hand information.

But, since it was devolved with a leaked version of the SDK cannot you infer that having the ability to run Linux on the PS3 compounds its potential as a media device?

Back