Replacing a Social Security Card

dood

Veteran X
So... I have no idea where I put my social security card. I doubt anyone has it or anything, but the apartment complex I am applying to needs to make a copy of it. If any of you have ever lost your card, how long does it take to get a new one? Will they give you one at the SS office that day, or do they give you some sort of temporary card? Any have experience with lost SS cards?

go to the social security office, take a number and sit/wait in the one government office that is almost as obnoxious as the DMV

they will just make you a new one

or you can mail off your BirthCert, I would rather do it in person though.

it's no big deal, you can even get a new SS number if you think you have/may be a victim of identity theft.

Only if there was some sort of website that could answer these questions....

Answer

with that said, its going to take awhile:

You can replace your card for free if it is lost or stolen.

To replace a lost Social Security card:

* Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
* Show us documents proving your identity.
* Show us documents proving your U.S. citizenship if our records do not already contain that information.
* Show us documents proving your current, lawful, work-authorized status if you are not a U.S. citizen.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll pay a visit to the office in person tomorrow morning.

I replaced mine. I went to the SS place and they mailed me one. As with any federal government institution, replacement can take any where from a couple of days to a couple hundred years. I think my new card came within the week if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I did it.

i did this a couple months ago, it took 15 minutes in the SS office, and then about 3 days later i had a new card
I was shocked

I read that, but it doesn't say how long it would take to get the replacement card.

Oh come on the Social Security Administration is the very definition of a Government Bureaucracy, you shoulda already assumed 1 week to the day you die, possibly after.

go to the social security office, take a number and sit/wait in the one government office that is almost as obnoxious as the DMV

I had to do this once when i was signing up for the Marines. You pretty much nailed it in your description.

Our DMV rocks now. I had to get my license renewed and I walked in and was first in line. 30 seconds later I was at the counter. I was back in my car with my new license in under 10 minutes.

Back on topic, I heard that getting the card replaced is a pain in the ass. I lost mine 15 years ago and never got it replaced...never needed to.

it's easy and they gave me a temporary slip that said this person has appllied for a card bla bla bla so that I could get what I needed that same day. took 4-6 weeks to actually arrive.

Back