I want a raise at work - am i valid in asking for one?

AkumA

Contributor
Veteran XX
About 2 years ago, I was offered a job to work as an appraiser. The owner paid for my schooling in full, and ultimately hooked me up with a good job and career.

He wanted to hire me as a residential appraiser which is like 4 months of school, 1 year of training. I start at 35 while I train and go to school. Then I make money on reports. I would be on my way making more money a lot quicker.

As I was schooling, he wanted to train me as a commercial appraiser - at the time I was mad because it was another 8 months of school, harder classes and another full year of training on the job. So 1 year of school, 2 years of training. (same salary for 2 years)

Its been over a year now, and I haven't gotten a raise in any way. I don't know if i feel like its right to ask due to the fact he hooked me up, at the same time I directly make them about 200k (never mind the side work I do to help the VP and CEO) a year while I make 70. The 70 is off my base salary + work. I want a larger base salary - I don't care what it is, but I want a raise.

Given this opportunity he offered me and the career path he helped set, Can I ask for a raise? Is that an ungrateful move if I do that?

Once you are finished, you will be making a lot more money, right? So I would probably just tough it out a bit longer.**

**this advice is for the off chance that you are telling the truth.

gay-bkg.jpg

Ask yourself this: Could you make more money at one of their competitors?

If yes, then yes.

If no, then no.

Never mind the fact that they "hooked you up" with a career. You're hooking them up with revenue. The relationship is an economic one. Treat it economically.

since you spend all day watching youtube and playing flash games, I will go out on a limb and say no

i tell everyone i make 70k but i just made a thread about getting a 2nd job as a food runner to make ends meet

he he

Oh yeah - another note. I brought in a large client for them and never saw anything from it. USPS is the client. My mom is head of the real estate dept in NJ.

ask for inflation + 5% a year. its very fair. do NOT get defensive about your accomplishments on the job unless he is obviously ignorant about them during the talks.

ask for a review, do your research on salary ranges based on your job title/prospective title. convince them in the review you are worth more than you are earning.

Back