Buying mp3s, legally

The fact that you can't buy music in the form that's desirable and useful to you is PROBABLY related SOMEHOW to the recording industry going extinct.

But hey, they are the salesmen, I am sure they have a plan to get paid for products nobody wants.

The fact that you can't buy music in the form that's desirable and useful to you is PROBABLY related SOMEHOW to the recording industry going extinct.

But hey, they are the salesmen, I am sure they have a plan to get paid for products nobody wants.

Go tirade about the evil man and his money somewhere else.
I just want some well recommended services and sites for buying music legally.

I use eMusic MP3 Music and Audiobook Downloads

They might not have what you're looking for, but they have alot of what I listen to. Plus they have a decent Jazz and Classical selection for when I want to try something different. I'm not a big electronic fan, but I've found some ok stuff there. Never really touched the hip-hop/rap section. Starting to dry up for what I listen to however, last couple months I've been grabbing older releases I never picked up and trying the occasional jazz/classical. I easily get my money's worth though.

Variable rate MP3's with no DRM/restrictions. Quality is the 192kbps VBR in LAME or pretty near it. I have had a couple CD's that seemed poor quality, but usually it's noted in the CD comments and one was fixed later and I was able to redownload it. Otherwise I don't really have an issue with the quality, it's the same quality settings I use for my own rips.

Last edited:
Buy.com is another mp3 vendor. Nothing special I guess, but I already have an account there, and they've done me okay for years.

Downloading MP3s by P2P is legal in Canada. Just don't ask which tax makes that possible. I have a lot more downloading to do to catch up to the surcharge, but I can do it with a clean conscience.

Back