[Cars] So, BMW/other euro import questions.

antifreeze

Veteran X
So lets say you own a BMW, it gets in an accident, hopefully not your fault of course. Anyways, for the parts, and what is needed to get your car fixed, either internal reconstruction or exterior, do all their parts ship from Europe? Thus you won't have your car back for a good month or 2?

Or are the parts needed for your car (Lets say the 3 series) it being a 3 series, which is the most usual owned BMW in the country, maybe they have parts for that particular car stored in a facility(s) within the United States to decrease shipping costs and wait time.

EDIT:: Question mark.

You're more than likely going to get refurbished parts that are not OEM spec. AKA The insurance companies fuck you over and find the cheapest parts available that will "work" for your car.

So lets say you own a BMW, it gets in an accident, hopefully not your fault of course. Anyways, for the parts, and what is needed to get your car fixed, either internal reconstruction or exterior, do all their parts ship from Europe? Thus you won't have your car back for a good month or 2?

Or are the parts needed for your car (Lets say the 3 series) it being a 3 series, which is the most usual owned BMW in the country, maybe they have parts for that particular car stored in a facility(s) within the United States to decrease shipping costs and wait time.

I'm sure BMW has more than a few HUGE parts warehouses here.

You're more than likely going to get refurbished parts that are not OEM spec. AKA The insurance companies fuck you over and find the cheapest parts available that will "work" for your car.

Yeah I do this all the time, used parts rock.

Yeah thats what im thinking, my friend's 1988 325i got in an accident, needed a new front end, he had to wait for the parts to come from Europe, maybe cause its an older model? or he was full of shit and didn't has as much money as he claims to have in order to fix the car and pay for his apartment? (lol)

If its over 5 years old they have to get the parts direct from the manufacturer usually. So it would make sense that his shit came from EU. When my GTi got wrecked the insurance company tried to replace it with refurbished front and rear bumpers that were not even from a GTi. Dumb fucks didn't know what the hell my car was.

We bought a 2007 Passat and not even 2 weeks after, we got nailed by an old lady. We took it to a BMW dealership collision center in Scottsdale az and they ordered all the parts direct from VW in Germany. It needed a new front passenger side clip and suspension. My wife ended up on 2 wheels running over this car. took us 1 1/2 - 2 months to get the car back. 3-4 weeks was just waiting for parts.

And I'll bet the car can't track straight or anything. Once you get hit hard the car is NEVER the same, no matter what anyone says. There's a reason why my GTi was traded in almost immediately after I got it back.

Actually I can't tell. It doesn't pull, rides smooth, all the body panels line up perfect. Best repair job I had seen on any car.

I took it to the best Body Shop in AZ since the insurance company couldn't stop me from taking it where I wanted to.

There are a lot of variables in accidents. Most of them, result in the car being perma-fucked. If the frame isn't damaged much, and the repairs are done very well...sometimes it comes out pretty good.

As for parts, have you ever heard of a warehouse? BMW/VW are in Germany, but they have a lot of warehouse space in the US. I can get just about any part for my car in 2-3 weeks. That's in Canada, and it's coming from the US. In the US, parts should be even faster.

Wrecker and non-OEM parts can also be used. When it comes to German though, go OEM unless it is some sort of upgrade.

Back