OT:Inside theMind of Isaac Asimov

I read this entire thread, where's my F'ing T-shit?

Awsome thread Fingerbang, you did the impossible. Kept me interested in something while I was at work. One day gone and it flew right by. Thanks!

fngrsig3.gif

Austforbeer said:
I read this entire thread, where's my F'ing T-shit?

hes lying.
he said the same thing about my Kabul ultra churro spider monkey beast thread. =\

give him the consolation prize

Sure thing Galli, :bigthumb:

FINALS R OH-VAHH!
*And I survived them! w00t! w00t!
/me beats a hasty retreat to the garage...

Modern Living

--Americans spend more time at shopping malls than anywhere outside their homes and jobs. Shoppers can buy anything from diamonds to yogurt there, go to church or college, register to vote, give blood, bet, work, and meditate. In some malls, one can move into a motel room, apartment, or condominium. The Chicago Symphony can be heard at the Woodfield Mall near Schaumberg, Illinois; the Dallas Symphony was on the verge of expiring before a series of successful concerts at North Park Shopping Center revived it. Approximately $60 billion is tied up in American shopping centers, which do about half ($300 billion in 1977) of all retail business. Women meet prospective lovers in shopping malls for more than they do in singles bars.(Fngr:Methinks Christmas doesn't hurt these stats either)

--About 1250, the English scholar Roger Bacon pointed out that the year in the Julian calendar, then in use, was a trifle too long; the vernal equinox came earlier and earlier every year. It took only 300 years for the Western world to make the necessary change to the corrective Gregorian calendar now in use. Russia made the change only after the communist revolution.

--Thanks to the electric light, Americans today, on the average, sleep 1½ hours less each day than Americans of six decades ago. A University of Florida report noted that most adults sleep 7½ hours a day and that about 15 percent sleep less than 6½ hours.

--Less than a century after Karl Marx died, more than a billion human beings live under governments that consider themselves adherents of his economic theories.

--In many countries, urine was used as a detergent for washing. (One of urine's major components, ammonia, is used in cleaning products.)

Politics and Polititians

--Though President Eisenhower, a Republican, won re-election by a landslide in 1956, Democrats gained control of both Houses of Congress, the first time in 108 years that the party of the incoming President did not have control of at least one house.

--Theodore Roosevelt's mother and first wife died on the same day in 1884. He was so bereaved that he left politics for almost two years.

--Daniel Webster, a leading U.S. political figure for thirty-five years in the nineteenth century, was "on the take" from Nicholas Biddle and Biddle's Second Bank of the U.S. --Webster once wrote to Biddle to complain that "my retainer has not been renewed, or refreshed as usual."

--A Senate debate on Kansas statehood in 1856 climaxed when Representative Preston Brooks of South Carolina cane-whipped into senselessness Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts. Sumner had insulted Brook's uncle, the absent Senator Andrew P. Butler, of South Carolina, during a diatribe against the "harlot slavery" and "rape" of Kansas by "hirelings picked from the drunken spew and vomit of an uneasy civilization." Sumner was so badly injured he could not return to the Senate for three and a half years, and he was in pain for the rest of his life. Brooks resigned after the incident, but was reelected as a hero by his district.

--While serving in Congress, Thomas Jefferson introduced a bill that attempted to bar slavery from all future states admitted to the Union, a measure that might have prevented the Civil War if it had not been defeated--by a single vote.

--Political candidates on the hustlings often absent-mindedly shake hands with their spouse.

:soapbox:

Saw this and immediately thought of this thread.

That Shrinking Feeling

Flying by the seat of your pants is one thing. But the Polynesian sailors of yore apparently went one better. They navigated their boats by trailing their testicles in the water.
South Pacific meteorologist Penehuro Lefale revealed this chilling bit of nautical history to a scientific conference in Samoa. He explained that the sailors judged how far they were from land by checking how the water temperature affected their scrotums. "If their testicles shrank, they knew they were moving away from land."

Quite why this extraordinary navigational technique gave way to knots, logs, sextants and charts is anybody's guess - maybe something to do with sharks..?

[MoM] Gort said:
That Shrinking Feeling
this extraordinary navigational technique gave way to knots, logs, sextants and charts is anybody's guess - maybe something to do with sharks..?
:rofl:

[MoM] Gort said:
:wave: @ FngrBang!

So how do you think you did on your finals, dude?
:wave: @ [MoM] Gort!

Let's just keep it at, "I survived." I did good 3 out of 4 classes. But that 4th one, sheeeesh, I barely made it by the harrs o' my arse. Still, I'm movin' on to the next semester.

They have this sayin' in Nursin' School:
:bigthumb:

keyboard.gif

Sharps and Flats

--Beethoven as a child made such a poor impression on his music teacher that he was pronounced hopeless as a composer. Even Haydn, who taught him harmony for a time, did not recognize Beethoven's potential genius.

--Although the song "Auld Lang Syne" is usually attributed to Robert Burns, it was known at least a century before he published it in 1796. One of his letters says, "It is the old song of the olden times, which has never been in print.--I took it down from an old man's singing."

--The composer John Cage's Imaginary Landscape No. 4 (1953), never sounds the same way twice. It is scored for twelve radios tuned at random.

--If we divide electromagnetic radiation into octaves--as we divide the sound waves produced by a piano--we are able to detect eighty-one octaves. Of these, the best-known electromagnetic radiation, visible light, makes up exactly one octave.

--Mozart comes closest of all musicians to being the universal composer. During his short lifetime (he died at age thirty-five), he wrote operas and symphonies, camber music and church music, solo and concert works for virtually every instrument--plus mechanical clocks and musical glasses. (Ludwig von Köchel made a thematic catalog of Mozart's works and published it in 1862. Mozart's works are usually identified by their numbers in this listing--for example, the Piano Concerto in B-Flat, K595. The Köchel Listing catalogues 626 authentic works.)

NASA Spacecraft to Hunt for Elusive Gravity Ripples
Guy Webster/JPL (818) 354-6278

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 20, 2001

Barely perceptible fluctuations in the speed of a distant NASA spacecraft coasting away from Earth could provide science's first direct detection of gravitational waves, a basic feature of how the universe behaves.

A 40-day search beginning Nov. 26 will use the Cassini spacecraft and specially upgraded ground facilities of NASA's Deep Space Network. "We've tried this before with other spacecraft, but this time we have new instrumentation on the spacecraft and on the ground that gives us 10 times the sensitivity," said astronomer Dr. John Armstrong of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. "We're able to measure the relative velocity between Earth and Cassini with exquisite accuracy."

Cassini's speed relative to Earth will vary during the 40 days, but will typically be about what it would take to zip from New York to Chicago in five minutes. In contrast, this experiment could detect any change in speed so small it would lengthen or shorten that trip by a mere fraction of a second.

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space and time that are set off by accelerations of massive bodies, such as black holes or supernovas. Albert Einstein theorized they exist, and indirect evidence confirmed his prediction in the 1970s.

"Gravitational waves are at the frontier of astrophysics. There's no question they exist, but they have not yet been detected directly," said Armstrong, leader of an international team that has been preparing for years to conduct this search.

"Gravity waves can give us another window into the universe, the way Galileo's telescope did in the 17th century and radio telescopes did in the 1940s," said JPL's Randy Herrera, lead operations engineer. The ability to detect gravitational waves could lead to their use as a way to study black holes and other massive phenomena, he added.

Cassini is in a quiet cruise phase of its mission, 11 months past Jupiter but still more than 30 months from its destination at Saturn. The researchers will use radio transmissions between Cassini and Earth to search for gravitational waves measurably warping space between the two. The transmissions reveal velocity changes by the Doppler effect, the same phenomenon that raises the pitch of an approaching train's whistle or lengthens the light waves from a receding galaxy. If gravitational waves within a particular range of long wavelengths are passing through our solar system, they will alternately stretch and compact space in a way that would rhythmically affect the Earth-to-Cassini distance.

Italian scientists Dr. Bruno Bertotti of the University of Pavia and Dr. Luciano Iess of the University of Rome are co-leaders of the experiment. Italy's national space agency, Agenzia Spaziale Italiana, provided crucial equipment aboard Cassini enabling the gravitational-wave experiment to use higher-frequency radio transmissions than have been used in earlier gravitational-wave searches with Galileo, Mars Observer, Ulysses and Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft. The higher frequency suppresses noise from the solar wind, allowing more precise measurements of velocity changes.

JPL engineers have carefully instrumented a large dish antenna at the Deep Space Network's Goldstone complex near Barstow, Calif., to send and receive the higher frequencies with unprecedented Doppler sensitivity. The upgrade includes refined pointing capability needed to exploit the higher frequencies, said Sami Asmar, supervisor of JPL's Radio Science Group. Other new equipment at Goldstone will allow researchers to correct for the atmosphere's distortion of radio transmissions and improve performance of the search.

The experiment will use links at lower radio frequencies between Cassini and Deep Space Network antennas near Madrid, Spain, and Canberra, Australia. This will enable around-the-clock observations. Taking data with independent equipment at three sites will help discriminate subtle instrumental effects from signals that might be gravitational waves.

The scientific importance of detecting gravitational waves has also prompted ground-based projects, most notably the highly sensitive Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory, coordinated by the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge. The two approaches complement each other because the Cassini experiment is sensitive to million-fold longer wavelengths of gravitational waves than the ground-based laser interferometers are, Armstrong said.

The Cassini experiment is timed so that Earth is on a line between the Sun and the spacecraft, minimizing noises on the radio link. Measurements taken during the 40 days will take several months to analyze. The experiment will be repeated twice more in the next two years when the spacecraft's position will make the measurements sensitive to gravitational waves from different directions in the sky.

Information about the Cassini-Huygens mission is available online at http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/cassini . Cassini, launched in 1997, will begin orbiting Saturn on July 1, 2004, and drop its piggybacked Huygens probe onto the haze-wrapped moon Titan about six months later. The mission is a collaboration of NASA, the European Space Agency and the Agenzia Spaziale Italiana. JPL, a division of Caltech, manages the Cassini program for NASA's Office of Space Science, Washington, D.C.

You didn't read all that did you?

:p

Back