Does anyone own their cable modem?

Yankee

Veteran XX
I pay $4.99 a month to rent a modem from Comcast, which is pretty ridiculous when you consider I've been doing it for 5 years.

Does Comcast even allow you to own your own?

In belgium you are supposed to buy one. But they are pretty cheap.

Damn Comcast is been ripping you off.

Just go buy one from Best Buy and hook it up Yankee. I have no idea if Comcast will have an issue with this but it is possible.

Anji, your country has EXCELLENT waffles.
istockphoto_2916934_belgian_waffles_up_close_and_personal.jpg

My brother-in-law used to have a sick modem from Comcast. I'm thinking it was supposed to be an in-house modem that got mixed up with the modems in rotation, but regardless he would get like 200 kb/s down on popular torrents by default, and would usually be closer to 600-800 kb/s just on a regular subscription. Not sure what the extra hardware in it was, but I wish I could get one.

My brother-in-law used to have a sick modem from Comcast. I'm thinking it was supposed to be an in-house modem that got mixed up with the modems in rotation, but regardless he would get like 200 kb/s down on popular torrents by default, and would usually be closer to 600-800 kb/s just on a regular subscription. Not sure what the extra hardware in it was, but I wish I could get one.

They just put a cap on how much you can download in the modem.

you confuse me

on a 7mbit down connection I'll get 200 kb/s down rarely even on a good torrent with plenty of seeds. If I'm extremely lucky I'll get 400 kb/s and higher. with the cable modem my brother in law had (before it was stolen) he would get at least 200 kb/s down. At least, even on torrents that weren't the greatest quality.

this leads me to believe your speed test would probably be at least 1.5x faster than 6359 kb/s and probably closer to 1.8x+ if you were using one of these "unlocked" modems.

I don't know exactly how torrents work, but it's sound reasoning.

Just because you buy a new modem doesn't mean it won't be capped. When you activate it Comcast will do what they want.

I bought one of these and it works great: Motorola - SURFboard Cable Modem - SB5101

No need to pay the $4.99 a month fee.

plz speedtest that for us really quick for the sake of discussion

You can uncap modems. I've done it to the motorola surfboard before. You basically spoof the modems TFTP server where it gets it's ini file everytime it turns on. Then you edit that ini file with your new upload/download cap.

I heard in Australia you people have a government monopoly on providing internet.

Yeah pretty much, it is restricted as hell. Upload speed are almost always limited to 128 or 256 and basically all providers have megabyte caps on all plans. It is quite common for broadband plans to have a 200MB or 400MB monthly limit - after which you are charged by the MB :eek:

I have one of the top plans (30Mbps/1Mbps) but after 12Gb/month it drops to dialup speed :(

I own a couple cable modems besides the one Optimum Online gave me to use for no charge.

Comcast is puttin' it in yer pooper man.

yes wankee, you can use your own modem. but youll have to call them and register your new modem's mac id (hardware ip, im sure u no). and be fuken sure they remove old one from your account. i got double charged for 2 months , and had a hella time gettin refund. best to do the switch 2-3 days BEFORE end of billing cycle. do this in person, while you return rented unit.

Back