[TECH]Quick question on adding USB ports

Merranza

Veteran XX
Is there any difference with an internal PCI card and an external HUB? Is the hub actually dividing the speed between all its ports if more than one USB device is connected? How about the pci card? Does it demand a lot of ressources?

Anyway what would be your pick?

Dono about TRUE speeds, but PCI (not express) has a max speed of 133MB's, while usb 2.0 has the max speed of 60MB's. So in theory the pci card would be for better.

Dono about TRUE speeds, but PCI (not express) has a max speed of 133MB's, while usb 2.0 has the max speed of 60MB's. So in theory the pci card would be for better.

This is a moot point.

A hub is fine in 99.99999% of cases.

The only time it's not fine is when the USB device is powered by the USB port, and even then you can get a powered hub.

just get a hub and connect the slow unpowered shit to it and connect anything that needs power or speed to the PC ports.

Yeah thing is I don't have extra ports on my mobo, hence the reason I was looking. I actually got 2 days ago a Belkin 5 ports USB 2.0 PCI card. I was just wondering if I made a bad move.
You're just wasting a PCI slot. Having a dedicated card isn't going to make it any faster, assuming your motherboard isn't USB 1.1 (which it shouldn't be if it's < 5 years old).

Yeah thing is I don't have extra ports on my mobo, hence the reason I was looking. I actually got 2 days ago a Belkin 5 ports USB 2.0 PCI card. I was just wondering if I made a bad move. I actually need the best speed out of those extra ports because I use this:

TASCAM

and this

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=RADIAS&

So I can't afford any extra latency

Put the card in. Bandwidth is split between all the devices. Since you need the bandwidth the card is the way for you to go.

You're just wasting a PCI slot. Having a dedicated card isn't going to make it any faster, assuming your motherboard isn't USB 1.1 (which it shouldn't be if it's < 5 years old).

This would be true years and years ago but really, who doesn't have free pci slots these days? Seriously, everything is on board now with the only usual exception being Sound Card.

This would be true years and years ago but really, who doesn't have free pci slots these days? Seriously, everything is on board now with the only usual exception being Sound Card.
When I built this system I specifically went with a microATX mobo and case that only has two PCI slots, one of which is occupied by my TV tuner card.

I'll probably replace the current card with something HDTV compatible soon but really why use a slot for maybe 4-6 ports? Perhaps in the future he may want firewire, better audio, PhysX, a wireless NIC, or anything else that his computer doesn't have that you wouldn't want to (or can't) connect via USB.

When I built this system I specifically went with a microATX mobo and case that only has two PCI slots, one of which is occupied by my TV tuner card.

I'll probably replace the current card with something HDTV compatible soon but really why use a slot for maybe 4-6 ports? Perhaps in the future he may want firewire, better audio, PhysX, a wireless NIC, or anything else that his computer doesn't have that you wouldn't want to (or can't) connect via USB.

By the time he wants that stuff (if at all) his computer will be considered obsolete < 2yrs. If you think you're gonna need PCI slots a microATX is not the route to go :p

My mobo is USB 2.0 compatible, with the card in, I still have 3 pci slots left, so lacking pci slots in not an issue. My computer is getting pretty old now too and I don't think I will really go for an upgrade anytime soon. My gaming phase is behind me and my computer does everything I want. Next move will probably be a laptop. That's another reason why I was considering the hub (could use it on the laptop) but then, I thought that by the time I'll buy a laptop, everything will be at least USB 3.0 and I'll want USB 3.0 anyway :)

I only have 2 USB slots directly in my mobo. So if the card works the same way my mobo slots are, in terms of speed, I'm happy. That's the reason why I was asking if hub = pci card in terms of speed.

Back