TW, is this a good external HD?

The new iomega or Lacie drives are nice. I've got a 500gb lacie and love it. The other two externals I own are just enclosures with Seagate drives.

probably not in ur price range but the WD mybooks are awesome, especally the one with raid function and auto turn on/off.

Yeah i saw them, but im looking for somthing inexpensive and able to hold my pictures, vids and music. i have a 80 gig in my computer and over the past year have only had about 2gigs of memory left. I dont have alot of stuff i want to move over and i dont want to spend alot of money on a expensive one. I saw this and from what the reviews are saying people like it. I wanted to as my TW brothers if it is reasonable drive for the price because it is one of the least expensive ones.. Also does anyone know if i could move my games to a external HD with a USB and they will run fine?

I have an external hard drive I use all the time and aside from getting an external 'server drive' the books I guess this is still my favorite 'external hard drive.'

2e21982e.jpg

They're cheap as hell and easy to hooky up to anything IDE. So whenever a ridiculously cheap hard drive deal rolls around it's also a sweet backup solution.

I imagine it is not too different from Newegg.com - BYTECC BT-200 USB2.0 to IDE Cable With Power Adapter - Retail but I can't vouch for that.

Came in real handy when my HD had a boot error and would just click on startup. Tried booting up multiple times and nothing gave. So I took it out and tossed it in the freezer (for S&G) used Easy IDE to hook it up to another computer then ran disk repair and viola my hard drive is now fully operational again.

but yeah, that looks like a decent enough backup solution

Last edited:
thats awesome light bulb. I am gonna have to get a couple of those and build a small storage case for it.

Personally at this point, I'd just setup a home media server.. hell MS sells Home Server for $90, and 99.9% of you have a spare mobo, processor, and ram sitting around.. theres almost no reason not too.

I have the Bytecc one and the power cable molex connector eventually stopped working. It's a shitty rubber deal and probably not making a connection any more.

I'm pretty sure the brick is fine but I can't get the molex to work any more, I might try to replace it with a real molex connector from a broken PSU.

you really cant go wrong with either seagate or wd. I checked out the newegg reviews and there's a few instances of people getting sent units that are defective in some way or another, but the drive is still averaging 4 out of 5 eggs.

I use that Seagate at work. The 500GB model.

It's OK I guess. I could probably build a bigger drive for that money at NewEgg.

I got a 500GB WD External for £75 last year. I really like it, though I'm always paranoid about leaving it on too long (which is obviously insane as my main machine runs 24/7)

Back