How hot does your GPU get?

Meatwad

Veteran XV
Due to unusual screen freezes, I believe my video card gets too hot if I play a graphically intensive game for too long. Recently I downloaded nView to give me more options over my nVidia 6800GT OC. I opened up the temperature tool and watched my GPU go (slowly) from 65C to 90C during an hour of HL2 E2. After it passes 95C, my screen turns funny colors and then shuts off. Even though this is quite annoying while I'm killing Combine, I can appreciate the fact that my processor doesn't melt thanks to this safety feature.

What's a reasonable temperature increase? Any tips for keeping it low? I already reduced the "recommended" settings so I can play for any significant period of time.

My laptop shuts down after about an hour of any source-engine game. I was going to get a 'laptop cooling pad' but then I decided I could probably do with a stopwatch, anyway...

Well I have a ton of fans in my computer and my Zalman CPU fan keeps everything else pretty cool.

Edit: Which reminds me it's time for it's cleaning session.

Is it better to invest in a cooling system or wait a few months when I upgrade my entire computer?

Thanks for the link!

Interesting that you post this.

The other night my water cooler pump dided and I had to swap out all the wc junk and put back in the stock cooling. I have the same card as you.

I was getting curious, as I hadn't done any maintenance on the cooling system since I installed it 2+ years ago, if it was actually doing any better than the stock stuff.

Well after installing the stock coolers I found out that yes it was doing a better job on the video card than stock. My card would max out at 66 with the wc system but now with the stock cooler it's getting upto the low - mid 80s.

If I still gamed on my PC I would fix the water cooler and get it back in there but I'm not really using that much so it isn't worth the time.

In conclusion, the stock cooling for the 6xxx series is ass.

My first 6800GT melted. The one in my shuttle now runs at about 83 peak. Just know that anything above 80 can destroy your card.

Are you in Southern California? Just kidding...

Get this and this. I have those on my 7800GT and my temperatures dropped 20 degrees celcius.

Back