[Stage6] this viral video marketing is getting out of hand

LouCypher

Veteran X
So I go to Stage6 this morning to look for Gears of War videos since they're working on a PC version and I'd never really paid attention to press on the 360 version.

In place of the old "How Spiderman 3 Should Have Ended" now there's a faked video about a "missing" girl named Hope Wilcott. The video is poorly edited with bad actors and tries to convince the viewers this girl was abducted under mysterious circumstances.

They're going all out trying to fool people, with a fake MySpace page and blog. Her "fiancée" deletes comments calling him out and apparently some fools on MySpace are falling for it.

All the images not hosted on MySpace are coming from this directory (with listing enabled) hosted on this site which is obviously related to independent film making.

I think it's a bit distasteful. They'll probably get media coverage over this when news outlets start exposing the scam. It's like a retarded "spiritual successor" to The Blair Witch Project.

so wtf are they selling?
Probably nothing. I'm guessing some guy thought this shit up and got some of his college buddies and wannabe actors to portray his girlfriend and the bad guys. Word of mouth gets around, he gets his 15 minutes and maybe a directing job on some shitty low budget flick.

sounds retarded... that's kind of crossing the line of good and bad taste. Of course, if you cross it enough, it's awesome, but that's just poor.

Back