HELP! Laptop dide :(

Fuzzy

Veteran X
So this laptop is telling me the windows system files that are like of the ultimate importance are gone, poof. When I try to start it up I hit esc and it asks me whether or not i'd like to load from the notebook or the CD-ROM, at which point I choose the rom because I put a windows XP small office edition in there, but when I select that it just shuts down and loads back up to where it was before. If I don't select the esc option it gives me the missing file message and tells me to restart and press r but when I do that it just beeps a few times and starts back up again. Help me TW :(

So this laptop is telling me the windows system files that are like of the ultimate importance are gone, poof. When I try to start it up I hit esc and it asks me whether or not i'd like to load from the notebook or the CD-ROM, at which point I choose the rom because I put a windows XP small office edition in there, but when I select that it just shuts down and loads back up to where it was before. If I don't select the esc option it gives me the missing file message and tells me to restart and press r but when I do that it just beeps a few times and starts back up again. Help me TW :(

Either you shut it down improperly and fudged the partition tables or you've got a bad hard drive. You'd need the hardware diagnosed before you can really proceed, because attempting to correct it without taking appropriate precautions could result in total data loss.

Otherwise boot off a WindowsXP CD, go into the recover console and run chkdsk /p /r, fixboot, and fixmbr, then hope for the best. This is of course providing the drive isn't bad.

But, I'm willing to bed you'd just fuck it up and make things worse. So get someone who knows what they're doing before you make things worse.

Back