USB 3.0 to Bring 10x Speed Increase in 2008

DudeofDeath

Contributor
Veteran XX
USB 3.0 to Bring 10x Speed Increase in 2008

During Patrick Gelsinger's keynote at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) today, Intel made a small announcement regarding a group of companies who are now working together to create a "superspeed personal USB interconnect with 10 times the speed of the current generation technology of USB 2.0. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group -- which consists of Intel, Hewlett-Packard, NEC Corporation, NXP Semiconductors, Microsoft and Texas Instruments -- looks to make several other major changes.

6026_usb_cool_wall.jpg

Intel's USB "Cool Wall" (Source: DailyTech, Brandon Hill)

Last edited:
I don't have any devices that saturate my USB connections now, what do I need more bandwidth for?
I always hear the same thing...

why do I need a 56k modem if my 28.8 is fast ..., I don't max out my 1.5 meg connection why do I need 3...

everything runs good on my 1.0ghz machine.. why do I need 2.0? and so on..

to answer you questions Jonez, you will need it because you will find out that one point or another your current setup will not support the future devices...

I'm glad to see a new USB and SATA is coming out, but it looks like there's really no new hard drive technology to keep pace. Even a 20k rpm HD would be as slow as shit compared to these new standards. USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit will mean nothing if they both are bottlenecked by our current hard drive technology. The industry is having a hard time coming up with realistic solution to this growing problem.

I'm glad to see a new USB and SATA is coming out, but it looks like there's really no new hard drive technology to keep pace. Even a 20k rpm HD would be as slow as shit compared to these new standards. USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbit will mean nothing if they both are bottlenecked by our current hard drive technology. The industry is having a hard time coming up with realistic solution to this growing problem.
IBM had a press release recently about the solid state hard drive that is not plagued with limited writes... supposedly this device is instant on and off. with no drive seeking , and the size of a ipod with almost 1000X times the ipod's storage space.

IBM had a press release recently about the solid state hard drive that is not plagued with limited writes... supposedly this device is instant on and off. with no drive seeking , and the size of a ipod with almost 1000X times the ipod's storage space.
I think you're referring to phase-change (PRAM) memory, which IBM and several other companies are working on. They project that it will be 1000x faster (not bigger) than current flash memory and can withstand 100 million write cycles. They will eventually be looking to use it as a SSD technology in the next 5-10 years. The entire project is still in its infancy and we won't see anything on shelves until 2015 at the earliest.

My point is that there is no practical, proven technology 'around the corner' for hard drives. SSD's have been around for a little while and there are still multiple problems with them. They're small in size and they're extremely expensive. A 128GB SSD will run you about $4600 right now. To top it off, they're not much faster than regular HD's. I expect this will change with time, but it will be years and years before this happens.

I think you're referring to phase-change (PRAM) memory, which IBM and several other companies are working on. They project that it will be 1000x faster (not bigger) than current flash memory and can withstand 100 million write cycles. They will eventually be looking to use it as a SSD technology in the next 5-10 years. The entire project is still in its infancy and we won't see anything on shelves until 2015 at the earliest.

My point is that there is no practical, proven technology 'around the corner' for hard drives. SSD's have been around for a little while and there are still multiple problems with them. They're small in size and they're extremely expensive. A 128GB SSD will run you about $4600 right now. To top it off, they're not much faster than regular HD's. I expect this will change with time, but it will be years and years before this happens.
nope not PRAM

With further work it may be possible to build structures consisting of small clusters of atoms, or even individual atoms, that could reliably store magnetic information. Such a storage capability would enable nearly 30,000 feature length movies or the entire contents of YouTube – millions of videos estimated to be more than 1,000 trillion bits of data – to fit in a device the size of an iPod.
IBM Brings Single-Atom Data Storage, Molecular Computers Closer to Reality

I've been waiting on Wireless USB for much longer and it's actually a viable product now.
Me too, and I'm interested to see waterproofing implemented in electronic devices. The only parts that would need external connection would be power, but that could be done through the seal.

Back