Leaving chili at room temp?

HumDumpin

Re
Veteran XV
Whats the longest time you can 'safely' leave around a gallon of chili to sit at room temp before refrigerating it after the pot has cooled to room temp? Generally you'd want to put it away right after it cools, I left mine out for a couple hours extra (6?) by mistake with the top on. Anyone have experience with 'chili gone bad'?

What type of meat is in it is my first question.. that is probably the 1 thing that determines the time period inwhich you can leave it sitting at room temp.

Chop meat, I fried the meat thoroughly before adding it to the chilli pot, the top was left on during this time too. Its also got lots of tomatoes, so I assume its acrid.

when we make the chili at the restaurant in which i work, the chili never sits out longer than a couple of hours. our ribs sit out for 2-3 hours, too.

if it is steak you are probably fine
hamburger...you need to check the temp of it before you stick it in the fridge...

whats the temp of the chili now?
i hope you are taking the temp b4 u put it in the fridge
safe would be 85 is as low as i would cut it
and 40 is about that high as i would cut it

whats the temp of the chili now?

Stuck my finger in it :lol: and it feels just above room temp. Its sitting in the fridge now.

I'd assume that it would take 2-3 hours to cool down after it hit room temp in the fridge anyways right?

Maybe I'll have a mini-serving after I get some work done and see if I don't explode with shit and blood out my anus.

you should be fine since you cooked the meat before hand and u let it cool, one thing i have learned most foods still cook after you take them off the burner due to residual heat. personally ill put it in the freezer for 20mins to drop the temp really quick so you dont get bacterial growth in the 60-40 degree range since it sat on the conter then id put it in the fridge once the temp of the chili hit 40

You people are retards.

6 hours is fine. Do you honestly believe that people ate/cured 100% of a fucking cow within 6 hours of slaughtering it before the advent of refrigeration?

Leaving it out in the sun for 14 hours is one thing.
Leaving it on a counter in a covered pot for 6 is another.

you should be fine since you cooked the meat before hand and u let it cool, one thing i have learned most foods still cook after you take them off the burner due to residual heat. personally ill put it in the freezer for 20mins to drop the temp really quick so you dont get bacterial growth in the 60-40 degree range since it sat on the conter then id put it in the fridge once the temp of the chili hit 40

Very good advice, thank you!

You'd think after working in the food service industry for most of my teenage years in the past, some of this would've rubbed off on me... but nooo apparently you've got to go to 'school' to learn these things :D

6 hrs? Not an issue. One of my housemates left a curry he made out on the stove for 4 days. Only on the 4th day had enough bacteria set up camp to induce extreme vomiting. You'd be surprised how long you can leave commonly refrigerated foods out before they turn...

You people are retards.

6 hours is fine. Do you honestly believe that people ate/cured 100% of a fucking cow within 6 hours of slaughtering it before the advent of refrigeration?

Leaving it out in the sun for 14 hours is one thing.
Leaving it on a counter in a covered pot for 6 is another.

seriously so many times id make food coming home drunk from the bars, eat half and leave it out.

Wake up many hours later and eat it, I was always just fine.

who the hell takes the temp of thier food before putting it in the fridge?

Back