AVG Advisor - Free Anti Virus - any goooood?

Why would you try to pirate AVG? It's free. The extra shit in the "Complete Protection" package isn't needed.

It's very good. However, lately its been picking up files that it shouldn't be as infected. Not uncommon, as I have found out. It looks for very generic sections to help spot viral and trojan variants with more ease.

It's free, you get what you pay for.

I'll use the following as an example of why you shouldn't rely too heavily on "free" antivirus or antispyware programs:

AVG rocks. Yes, it has been picking up random files as viruses through heuristics lately.

Know your computer and you'll always know which are the real viral infections (which should be none), and which are the false positives.
Which is why I feel qualified to make such a statement.

I've been happily running SAV Corporate through various versions for several years now with no (detected) infections. Someone talked Yankee into installing AVG and he was saying how many "viruses" it detected. I installed it and it was labeling shit left and right as "Trojan.Dropper" this and that, blah, blah.

Everything it "detected" scanned clean on jotti.

My buddy has a pc store in town and makes most his loot off of spyware removal and he puts it on all of his customers pcs...

what do you all recommend as the best anti-virus/spyware program? i've always used Norton in the past but my subscription will be running out the end of the month.

Back