Grammar Question: Do Periodicals That Start With "The" Require A Capitalized "The?"

Miracle

Veteran X
Grammar Question: Do Periodicals That Start With "The" Require A Capitalized "The?"

Example:

Bob bought copies of the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and the Seattle Times. He placed them next to his copy of the Denver Post.

OR

Bob bought copies of The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Seattle Times. He placed them next to his copy of The Denver Post.

Which is correct?

if it's part of the name, capitalize. if it's not part of the name, do not include it at all.

end thread.

can you or segarob change the sentences in question to ones that would be considered "correct"?

can you or segarob change the sentences in question to ones that would be considered "correct"?

the second one is right because in this case, all the example in question have "the" as part of the title. i checked the internet to make sure.

and if i am dumb, then 99.99% of the world suffers from severe mental retardation. but that's another thread.

the second one is right because in this case, all the example in question have "the" as part of the title. i checked the internet to make sure.

and if i am dumb, then 99.99% of the world suffers from severe mental retardation. but that's another thread.

Nothing wrong with being dumb.

i think you are right and i am the dumb one after all (i thought part of the premise of the question had to do with the fact that the nyt and wsj both DON'T have The as part of their title, but they both do as you checked on it)

dur dur durrr

technically this isnt a grammar question, it's a style question.

i could write "bob bought copies of the new york times, the wall street journal, and the seattle times. he placed them next to his copy of the denver post."

you would all know what i mean, and the grammar is correct. thanks good night. and woowoo

Nope, you only capitalize "the" if it is the first word in the sentence.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/capitals.htm said:
Names of newspapers and journals. Do not, however, capitalize the word the, even when it is part of the newspaper's title: the Hartford Courant.

That's how I've always been taught at least. Looks like there are differing perspectives out there in Internetland.

Nope, you only capitalize "the" if it is the first word in the sentence.

That's how I've always been taught at least. Looks like there are differing perspectives out there in Internetland.

You were taught wrong or you missed a class. If it's part of a title you capitalize it.

You were taught wrong or you missed a class. If it's part of a title you capitalize it.

After further research, you may be right. How often is it ever actually part of the name though?

I bought a The New York Times on my way into work this morning.

This morning's The Wall Street Journal had an interesting article on counter-terrorism.

Maybe those sentences above are correct, but they neither look nor sound very good. My feeling is that if it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

Back