t-499301 [Advice] How does my current plan look? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

[Advice] How does my current plan look?

bonafide
08-01-2007, 12:02 AM
Fitness is something that I got into about 1 year ago, and moreso since roughly April 2007.

Growing up, I was always the slightly "round" kid who wasn't that good at sports. I played some intramural stuff, but nothing serious in Highschool/early college. I'm built like my grandfather --fairly slow metabolism, husky build, endomorph.

Since April, I really started working out, and introduced myself to the 6 meals a day system. Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle was my rough guide for everything, especially diet.

Since June, I have been working out pretty hard, though not as much lifting. I take high-intensity boxing classes (running, jumping rope, heavy bag work, sparring) for 1 hour roughly 5 days a week, and do 1/2 hour elliptical + 1/2 hour swimming as part of recovery on a Sat or Sun. Sometimes I'll throw in a 5k race or hiking for good measure.

What I'm really going for at this point would be increased overall muscle/trimming bodyfat, especially my stomach. In highschool, I was pretty embarrassed of my man-boobs most of all. I definitely have seen some great results, but I'm having trouble losing that last little but of stubborn fat. I know this takes time, but I have been working HARD and am looking for some guidance.

Am I on the right track? Should I add more lifting (I probably should, but I don't have a lifting buddy yet and it gets so boring)? Does the diet look good?

My diet calculations (yes, I'm a nerd):
http://www.touchmyjunk.org/media/diet.jpg

I let myself have a cheat meal every 1-2 weeks (usually in the form of drinking), although I've cut back on this since researching alcohol (Peter Sherman***8217;s touchmyjunk.org Blog Archive A Study of Alco-fficiency: Feed the drunk, starve the beer belly (http://touchmyjunk.org/?p=22))

As far as supplements go, I take multivitamins regularly, but stay away from most of that other bull****. A possible 1-2% increase in results doesn't justify putting a whole bunch of mystery chemicals in your body, in my own opinion. I did used to take Whey protein, but stopped after I didn't see much change with it (though I wouldn't be against starting again).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This isn't a veiled attempt at showing off either, although it does feel great to finally be fit after growing up with little confidence.

BeLiaL
08-01-2007, 12:12 AM
I would suggest trying to cut down to around 2000 calories a day

bonafide
08-01-2007, 12:18 AM
I would suggest trying to cut down to around 2000 calories a day

Well I'm already taking off ~540 calories. My only worry is sending my body into starvation mode, thus defeating the 6 meals a day benefit.

However, my TDEE could be off a little bit (not sure how moderately active I am).

BeLiaL
08-01-2007, 12:38 AM
The reasoning behind it is the guide I've always referred to suggests that a 175lb man only take in roughly 2200, and at each drop in 5 lbs, 100 calories are subtracted -- roughly, of course.

ptavv
08-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Too much protein.

I wonder how many times I'll have to say it before people actually start listening.

bonafide
08-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Too much protein.

I wonder how many times I'll have to say it before people actually start listening.

What's the logic behind this? I can't find anything in the literature that warns about 30-35% protein (unlike the 1g/1lb body weight which is high).

Darkstrand
08-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I agree with ptavv on this. Your body can only metabolize 20-30 grams of protein in a 3 hour period.

It's a really bitter dispute trying to convince people of this because it puts a significant upperbound on how much muscle a person can gain in any time period and usually ruins their dreams that the 15 lbs they've put on in the last 2 month was all muscle.

BeLiaL
08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with ptavv on this. Your body can only metabolize 20-30 grams of protein in a 3 hour period.

It's a really bitter dispute trying to convince people of this because it puts a significant upperbound on how much muscle a person can gain in any time period and usually ruins their dreams that the 15 lbs they've put on in the last 2 month was all muscle.

Only 20-30 grams in a 3-hour period? So if he eats 33 grams every 3.3 hours, isn't that pretty ****ing close to what you're talking about? Christ.. everyone here is ****ing stupid.

ptavv
08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
he weighs 160 lbs and is eating 180+ grams of protein per day.

Yet somehow he's oncerned with eating 1 g/lb. :shrug:

Also, the 20-30 grams per three hours thing is mostly bunk. Your body can absorb about .6-.7 g/lb per day. Space it out.

Protein should really only make up ~15% of your calories, otherwise the extra is just turning into carbohydrates anyway. So just take the extra calories and eat more carbs. :sunny:

bonafide
08-01-2007, 03:40 PM
he weighs 160 lbs and is eating 180+ grams of protein per day.

Yet somehow he's oncerned with eating 1 g/lb. :shrug:

Also, the 20-30 grams per three hours thing is mostly bunk. Your body can absorb about .6-.7 g/lb per day. Space it out.

Protein should really only make up ~15% of your calories, otherwise the extra is just turning into carbohydrates anyway. So just take the extra calories and eat more carbs. :sunny:

Yeah, I wasn't 100% thinking last night. :twak:

However, wouldn't carbs be even more readily turned into stored body fat than protein? Remember, my main goal is reducing body fat while keeping/increasing slightly muscle.

Running carb intake as high as 65% is strongly suggested against (especially due to my already slow metabolism) by Venuto. Given, he doesn't know everything.

ptavv
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Depends on how much you exercise. Lifting 3 days/week and doing cardio 3 days/week (for ~an hour) is plenty to keep your fat storage down.

Only excess carbohydrate calories get stored as fat, so make sure you're burning about as much as you're eating :shrug:

And anyway, if you decide instead to eat those calories as protein, it's the same as having eaten them as carbs (in the long run).

bonafide
08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Depends on how much you exercise. Lifting 3 days/week and doing cardio 3 days/week (for ~an hour) is plenty to keep your fat storage down.

Only excess carbohydrate calories get stored as fat, so make sure you're burning about as much as you're eating :shrug:

And anyway, if you decide instead to eat those calories as protein, it's the same as having eaten them as carbs (in the long run).

I'll agree with you there. I definitely count my protein intake as part of my calorie allocations, so I'm not just bombing 2000 cal protein shakes ever 3 hours and expecting to only gain muscle. ;-)

Rayn
08-01-2007, 07:39 PM
You need more weight lifting. You're going to lose more muscle than you would if you incorporated resistance training. You have a lot of cardio though so I'm not sure where you could possibly work it in. What is your target weight, exactly?

bonafide
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM
You need more weight lifting. You're going to lose more muscle than you would if you incorporated resistance training. You have a lot of cardio though so I'm not sure where you could possibly work it in. What is your target weight, exactly?

Yeah, after writing everything out I really see this glaring lack of lifting. I'm not really sure of my target weight. I'm not trying to get completely tank-like jacked, and have seen some decent muscle development. I ideally would like to increase muscle 10-15% from what it is now while decreasing fat roughly the same amount.

I had planned on lifting today to start myself back in the groove.

SL83
08-02-2007, 12:04 AM
I hate it when people say stupid **** like "I don't want to get tank like jacked."

It's not going to happen over night dude.

bonafide
08-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I hate it when people say stupid **** like "I don't want to get tank like jacked."

It's not going to happen over night dude.

:disgust: In fact, the opposite of what you're accusing me is true. I said it as in "I realize that getting tank-like jacked takes YEARS of work + good genetics, so I'll settle with a realistic level of muscle gain."

Notice above I said that gaining 10% more muscle mass is my long term goal (6-12 months).

I had hoped that "flame first, read later" bull**** wouldn't leak over from General Forums to the Fitness form.

SL83
08-02-2007, 12:55 AM
:disgust: In fact, the opposite of what you're accusing me is true. I said it as in "I realize that getting tank-like jacked takes YEARS of work + good genetics, so I'll settle with a realistic level of muscle gain."

Notice above I said that gaining 10% more muscle mass is my long term goal (6-12 months).

I had hoped that "flame first, read later" bull**** wouldn't leak over from General Forums to the Fitness form.

Flame first would be me calling you a ****** or something. :shrug:

I just stated my opinion, which your line that I quoted made me think of.

I notice a lot of girls will say something similar to that. Nothing against you really dude. :sunny:

bonafide
08-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Flame first would be me calling you a ****** or something. :shrug:

I just stated my opinion, which your line that I quoted made me think of.

I notice a lot of girls will say something similar to that. Nothing against you really dude. :sunny:

Oh alright. :makeup sex:

Gizmo
08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
hot. i want in.

Rayn
08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
You won't gain muscle if you're dieting. You'll slim up, maybe look more muscular, but no extra muscle until you start eating big while you lift. You should get down to your target body fat % then start bulking up and eating more. You really should set some goals ... otherwise you'll just ramble.