you will watch a nazi conduct

What exactly does a conductor do? I mean I would think with the amount that they practice they would be able to play it on their own.

I suppose it's the hours of unseen rehearsals beforehand where the conductor does the most work

What exactly does a conductor do? I mean I would think with the amount that they practice they would be able to play it on their own.

yes. the conductor is the leader of the practicing.... when the time comes to perform, they are basically just for show. however, they control the start and sometimes the speed of the piece.

I read something about conducting a while ago that seemed to suggest that their job was rather important. Something about the difficulty of starting and stopping different groups of people in time.

But, you ever watch that guy in the back on the kettle drums? He never gets any conducting. That guy knows his shit.

Timing is everything. Without the conductor all the musicians are using their own sense of timing. That can lead to disorder as there is no uniformity. Even having practiced together, it's hard to keep everyone together without something singular to focus on. The conductor brings uniformity and is the single "center" to time everyone to.

It's like a fine automobile. A Modern Car is made of many components and these components are made up of hundreds more parts. They are each engineered with precision to accomplish a single task. While all the components, doing all their own tasks just as they were engineered to do, will function as a car when assembled... it still takes a driver to make the car go any place meaningful.

The conductor is the Driver of the Orchestra.

Timing is everything. Without the conductor all the musicians are using their own sense of timing. That can lead to disorder as there is no uniformity. Even having practiced together, it's hard to keep everyone together without something singular to focus on. The conductor brings uniformity and is the single "center" to time everyone to.

It's like a fine automobile. A Modern Car is made of many components and these components are made up of hundreds more parts. They are each engineered with precision to accomplish a single task. While all the components, doing all their own tasks just as they were engineered to do, will function as a car when assembled... it still takes a driver to make the car go any place meaningful.

The conductor is the Driver of the Orchestra.

i agreed with you until your shitty car analogy

Back