t-498652 Tell me what to eat [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Tell me what to eat

DrJonez
07-26-2007, 10:08 PM
So I'm compiling a shopping list of stuff to get the next time I go to the store. Ideas for stuff that'd be good for losing weight would be appreciated. Cheap is good too, but not absolutely necessary.

So far I have:

Chicken (probably frozen breasts)
Wild rice
Broccoli
Tuna
Eggs
Oatmeal (Should I just get plain boring oatmeal, or are the flavored packets ok?)
Canned soup (Any suggestions on what to get/avoid here?)

Any suggestions on bread? Tuna sammiches are good, but I haven't really found a whole wheat bread that I like. They're just kinda meh, the bread feels more like a chore to eat than anything else. What about pita or something like that to put tuna in?

I've got my usual set of things I cook in my head, and most of them kinda suck at avoiding stuff like white pasta, white bread, and other stuff I shouldn't eat. I'm trying to come up with new stuff to make out of the healthier ingredients I'm going to pick up. Any good recipe ideas? Anything from simple 2 minute stuff to big dinners are fine with me.

ptavv
07-26-2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492140

DrJonez
07-26-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492140

1. That seems to be mostly aimed at people doing strength/endurance training, which obviously I'm not. I need to burn a ****ton of fat before I worry about strength or endurance.

2. The details are spread out all over the thread, and being a relative newbie at all this stuff makes me unsure of which details apply to me, and which don't. If you could summarize or write something up for me, that'd be awesome <3

Rayn
07-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Exercise.

turtle
07-27-2007, 01:42 AM
pick and choose from this http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481846

DropSquad
07-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Oatmeal, the quick **** usually has TONS of sugar in it. Just get the boring **** and mix in some jam or preserves.

canned soup just make sure that the sugar content isn't through to roof.

PBJ is good if you use organic P and preserves for the J. Also whole wheat.

Get used to eating whole wheat everything. Empty carbs are **** for you. I know it might seem gritty at first but eventually you'll get used to it and it will be fine. Whole wheat pasta is great, use some tomato sauce (again not too much sugar) and you're golden.

DillingerEscp
07-27-2007, 02:34 AM
Exercise.

fair enough. Useless without a diet though.

Goshin
07-27-2007, 04:20 AM
turkey and ham and mustard and bread = lunch

Hells Horses
07-27-2007, 06:50 AM
One of my favorite things to eat is spicy garlic shrimp.

Thinly slice two cloves of garlic, saute in a little bit of extra virgin garlic oil, add in 1 pound shrimp and red pepper flakes to taste (I use about a tablespoon, but you can add more or less to control the level of spicyness). Cook about 5 minutes, keep the shrimp moving every so often.

Quick and delicious :)

ayz
07-27-2007, 09:04 AM
you're not going to eat your way to fitness

try exercising

RockeT
07-27-2007, 09:21 AM
you're not going to eat your way to fitness

try exercising

While he won't eat his way to fitness, he will eat his way to weight loss and good health.

Exercising will be good for him but controlling his diet should equally important to him. Don't get me wrong, I think he should exercise too, but if he were to only do one of the two, I think he should eat clean foods and watch his caloric intake religiously.

ayz
07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
obviously exercise and diet go hand in hand

i just wanted to point out my initial amusement over the fat guy posting a thread on "what should i eat to lose weight" instead of "what exercises should i do to lose weight"

Big Monkey
07-27-2007, 12:07 PM
My 2 cents:

I would base your diet on clean foods. Your list is on the right track. As long as you stay away from prepared foods (fast food, frozen dinners) and have nutrition labels available to you so you can control your intake, you're on the right path.

The next step I would recommend is to use an outcome based diet model. What I mean by this is recommendations can come from everywhere and they can all be true...for that person who recommended it. It doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you.

I would test out a consistent diet, with virtually no fluctuations, and stick to it for a minimum of 3 weeks. If you see it is not working for you, then change things up and test things out until you see results.

Having realistic expectations will help you as well. If you expect to lose more than 2 lbs a week with no exercise, then you'd be setting yourself up for failure and frustration and likely revert back to your old ways.

Personally, I'm having good success with a caloric intake of .7 - .9 X my body weight in calories with the following macronutrient ratios.

10% C
35% P
55% F

All foods are clean and mostly come from stuff I buy at Whole Foods Market. Carbs are mostly from fibrous vegetables like broccoli (any green veggie from the ground is awesome.) Fats are healthy fats like fish oil caps, flax seed caps, avocados, Canola based mayo, omega 3 eggs, olive oil, almonds, walnuts, full fat cheese occasionally, etc. Protein from lean beef, chicken, wild alaskan salmon, wild alaskan cod, tuna, cottage cheese, and sometimes protein supplements. I drink green tea or water exclusively when I'm thirsty. I eat 5-6 times a day, never skip breakfast, and I'm never hungry anymore because I know I'm going to eat my next meal in about 3 hours while I'm awake. Lack of sleep will slow your progress, so don't forget to get your 8 hours in!

Protein will probably be a ratio that shouldn't vary much and should stay between 25-35% IMO. The carbs and fat though will have a bigger impact on weight loss depending on which your body uses for fuel. For me, once I went on a higher fat diet, I'm convinced my body uses fat for fuel and when it runs out of food it uses my body fat as a fuel source.

I've been reading religiously about nutrition and this is what has been working for me. I hope you'll find something that works for you. The strongest recommendation I would have is to stop over analyzing and worrying with no action, and start doing and learn from possible mistakes.

Rayn
07-27-2007, 04:26 PM
He could eat 1100 calories a day; his body is so out of whack he's not going to see significant fat loss until he mixes in some exercise. Diet is of course important, but at this point ... the exercise is MORE important.

ptavv
07-27-2007, 04:35 PM
10% C
35% P
55% F

You are retarded. Have fun getting fat.
Protein will probably be a ratio that shouldn't vary much and should stay between 25-35% IMO. The carbs and fat though will have a bigger impact on weight loss depending on which your body uses for fuel. For me, once I went on a higher fat diet, I'm convinced my body uses fat for fuel and when it runs out of food it uses my body fat as a fuel source.
I don't care what you're convinced of but physiologically, this is total bull****. Your body cannot use fat for anaerobic respiration. You're handicapping yourself, more or less.

Rayn
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
He won't get fat on that diet until he starts eating carbs again. Until then, he'll probably lose a lot of weight. (ketosis)

ptavv
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, and he also won't be able to exercise worth a damn...

You're much better off eating "right" and exercising longer than you are trying to take short cuts with low-carb diets.

Rayn
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
The body can metabolize fat for use in anaerobic respiration during lipolysis.

I agree you are better off eating right, of course. The same increase in fat metabolism can be achieved in a healthy way by increasing cardiovascular fitness which will increase the concentration of fat burning enzymes in the muscle. (and consequently cause the body's systemic response to exercise - in which it releases a flood of fatty acids into the bloodstream for energy - to happen sooner and be larger)

dubs
07-27-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't mean to bash you drjonez, but it's no wonder you are 400lbs. You have got to be the laziest person. In the other thread you didn't want to exercise, now you want people to spell out exactly what you should eat, and you're not happy with a list of general things to eat.

It's not that hard to eat healthy, and control your portions. At your weight, even basic changes will make a big difference.

Btw Rayn, thanks for turning me onto the Rippetoe workout. I've been doing it for 1.5 weeks now. I don't really get the Pendlay row though, is it just a bentover barbell row where you deweight each time? I can't seem to keep my back completely straight and parallel to the ground while doing this. Been stretching to get more flexibility to help on my form.

Rayn
07-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I don't really get the Pendlay row though, is it just a bentover barbell row where you deweight each time?Yes, that's exactly what it is.I can't seem to keep my back completely straight and parallel to the ground while doing this. Been stretching to get more flexibility to help on my form.I lowered the weight this week to improve my form and I wound up feeling it much more in my back than usual and overall felt like I had a better workout. Keeping your back straight and parallel is very important in this exercise, but if it's a flexibility issue, don't kill yourself over it. Just minimize your back movement -- your goal is to lift the weight without using your hips and lower back.

This guy is generally accepted as a great example of well done Pendlay rows (although he should keep his head up)
UIUg8nDVEFs