[Hardware] Need some help.

DV

Veteran XV
It's been a while since I sat down and purchased parts to build a box, I've been upgrading parts here and there since the last time. And I've finally gotten to a point where upgrades just don't cut it any longer. The problem is it's been so long, I no longer know what is decent and what is shit. This is where I need your help Tribalwar.

I want to build a box, nothing fancy or spectacular. And I'm hoping that those of you who have built something recently are willing to toss in your thoughts or opinions.

I'm running a budget of 400-600$, the closer to 400$ the better, but I'm willing to go all the way to the six hundered if needed. Already have a nice case, a couple HD's, disc drives, and monitor. What I need is this:

• Motherboard
  • Processor - (Something decent that fits the requirements below.)
  • Ram - (2 gigs)
  • Video Card - PCI-E and I only need one for now (definitely pick up another one when I'm ready)
  • Small SATA HD - Something less than 30 gigs is fine.
  • and 2 to 3 case fans.

Also, I'd like to get all of these things from one source, and a reputable source (Tigerdirect, Newegg, something like that.)

I'd like something that will handle games coming out without too much trouble, ie: QuakeWars, or Fallout3 (when it comes,) etc.

CLIFFS:
1: Learn to read.

Last edited:
Eek. I need to start looking into this as well. Would 400-600 be enough to build a decent system? I'm still running games off of a system I built 2 years ago for about 1200.

I figure it should be enough, considering I don't need a case/ps/monitor/more than one tiny HD.

And I'm even willing to get 1gig of ram now knowing that I can get more later, also getting one pci-e card keeps the price low for now. I'm willing to upgrade later, my concern now is getting the box and getting it built asap.

Very true. I'm going to have to do some research when I wake up. I'll see what I find and also check back to the thread.

I have an almost brand new 600 watt power supply, so I'm sure I don't need a power supply.

intel and amd stopped fighting over who had the "faster processor" because the generation of processors intel had planned after the P4 were too hot run w/o very expensive cooling

now they have slower clockspeeds but a smaller amount of longer pipeline stages

Possibly, I'm not sure which RAM works the best for that motherboard. Maybe about ~100-150 and say another 50 for hard drive.

Do you need case fans?

The case fans I have, I got when I first got this case about 5 years ago. They are kind of going tits up. Not to mention I'd have to pickup a heatsink and fan for that processor.

if you want it to handle up and coming games 'without too much trouble' you're really not going to be able to get something for $400 or $500. $600 woudl be really pushing it.

Back