You are not special.

Hazee Daze

Veteran XV
Just finished reading the Fight Club. For the uninitiated, it rocks harder than the movie. Excellent summer read--and for some reason it actually cheered me up.

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake."

"These new guys stare at the butthole in my cheek and the black skin on my face, yellow and green around the edges, and they call me sir."

fight club is one of the only book/movie combinations where i cant pick a winner. both are so god damned good.

I read Choke by the same author about a month ago. It was pretty good but it fell apart at the end.

That's too bad. I was really looking forward to his next book.

I can't figure out why, but his writing reminds me a lot of Don Delilio.

Oh yeah, and I agree. I liked the ending in the movie a lot better than the book. Otherwise book > movie.

i liked the book better in that it was a lot more vivid than the movie was, as well as the religious undertones that were a lot more apparent.

ive never not heard someone say that they liked the book better than a movie

usually its just so they can casually mention that they actually read, but they always say the same thing

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

ive never not heard someone say that they liked the book better than a movie

usually its just so they can casually mention that they actually read, but they always say the same thing

not necessarily. for example, I liked apocalypse now better than i liked heart of darkness..as well as trainspotting and fear & loathing better than their book counterparts. hunt for the red october movie also had a lot more clarity to it..

The movie has a better ending because the book implies that durden is still somehow alive and the torture isn't over.

i found the character of baloo to be totally contrived in the literary adaptation of the jungle book i had as a child

granted, it was only like 12 pages long and didnt have any actual 'words' words

Back