t-495948 Job offer etiquette dilemma [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Job offer etiquette dilemma

Pages : [1] 2

Reno
07-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Got a question on an appropriate response to a job offer I'm not 100% I want to take. Here's the situation: been where I am a little over a year, in a position that caused me to pull me hair out (on-site putting up a building). I'd been interviewing since the job has been winding down. One company that called somewhat surprised me, they pulled my resume from monster and want me for an engineering position (still construction related). I got an offer from the engineering company on Tuesday of last week (they called within 15 minutes of me leaving the interview), and I told them I needed some time to think about it and make sure it's the right job.

The project ended on Friday, and Monday I start in the office doing preconstruction estimating, which is the direction I want to go. Unfortunately I have issues with my company, trust being the biggest. Also, retention is horrible where I work. One of the most senior employees has only been there 2 years. Most are around a year now. The new company seems great to work for, as far as I can tell (I even went in Friday to talk to people I'd be working with and find out the good and bad aspects).

If I stay where I am, I could be working on what I want to do, but my time could end at any moment, or they could try to screw me. If I go, I could get my PE license in 2-3 years ($$), but there's a chance it could slow down or even derail my intended career path. To add to all of this, I got a call this morning from a VP at another company who I sent my resume to, who might be interested in me for a precon position (this company would be awesome to work for). Pay would be the same at both jobs, although the job I got a call on today could pay better.

I want more time but I feel like I can't just ask the company that made me an offer to wait a while while I make up my mind. It seems like they need someone fairly soon. I don't want to take a new job and then jump ship a week in because another opportunity came up. It's just something I won't do.

So, people who may have insight into the situation - is there some way to get a week or two more to decide without pissing off the company that made me an offer? Is it worth explaining my situation, that I need to see what things would be like in my new position at my current company for a couple weeks before I decide, and that if they need to find someone ASAP to continue looking but I might be ready to join them in 2-3 weeks?

Thoughts?

Cliffs:
-Hated the job I've been at the past year. Project ended and starting a new position (same company) tomorrow. The new position is what I want to be doing.
-Could be more fond of my company. Largely due to trust issues. Retention there is horrible.
-Got a job offer from a great company last week doing something that would pay well but could derail my intended career path. Starting pay would be the same as what I get now.
-Got a call today from another company, will probably have an interview this week for a position doing what I'm about to start doing. This company isn't horrible to work for, and it would probably pay better than I'm getting now.
-Want more time to see how I like what I'm doing with my company, and to see about the company that just called me today.

godsdog
07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
CLIFFS

lemon
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Ask if you can have some time? Maybe they'll up the offer.

Reno
07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
CLIFFS

-Hated the job I've been at the past year. Project ended and starting a new position (same company) tomorrow. The new position is what I want to be doing.
-Could be more fond of my company. Largely due to trust issues. Retention there is horrible.
-Got a job offer from a great company last week doing something that would pay well but could derail my intended career path. Starting pay would be the same as what I get now.
-Got a call today from another company, will probably have an interview this week for a position doing what I'm about to start doing. This company isn't horrible to work for, and it would probably pay better than I'm getting now.
-Want more time to see how I like what I'm doing with my company, and to see about the company that just called me today.

Xcursion
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Jump off a bridge.

Kelven
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I think a few days is enough, they won't wait for you

godsdog
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Jump off a bridge.

this may be the answer
or just telling the 1st co you have another offer you need to consider.

SuicideTaxi
07-08-2007, 09:03 PM
The only downside to the new job offer is that it isn't exactly the "career path" you chose?


How is this even a dilemma...

godsdog
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
The only downside to the new job offer is that it isn't exactly the "career path" you chose?


How is this even a dilemma...

some people have goals in life..
and work towards them vs. giving up

SuicideTaxi
07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Look it isn't as if he set out to be a medical doctor and got offered a job as a ballerina instead.

It's the same general field he's already in, for more money, at a better company.

Christ if this poses a dilemma... he's got a long road ahead of him.

Yankee
07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Construction market is incredibly understaffed and underqualified right now. If you don't take this offer, there will be more.

You're a long way from PE, what is your degree in?

godsdog
07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Private Equity?

TF_Grungir
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Construction market is incredibly understaffed and underqualified right now. If you don't take this offer, there will be more.

You're a long way from PE, what is your degree in?

Yea, i thought you needed 5 years exp after you pass the EIT to even take the PE exam.

PE = Professional Engineer

Reno
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Construction market is incredibly understaffed and underqualified right now. If you don't take this offer, there will be more.

You're a long way from PE, what is your degree in?
BSME, MSCE (focus on construction management)

Thinking more, I can't accept the engineering job right now, primarily because of the call I got today about a precon job. I guess I just have to explain that to the company that made me an offer.

Reno
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Yea, i thought you needed 5 years exp after you pass the EIT to even take the PE exam.

PE = Professional Engineer
4. A master's can count for a year, then I've got another year down. 2 more, maybe 3 if I can't get a reference for this year, and I can take the test - but only if I take an engineering job.

Yankee
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
If you can turn a year of being a trailer jockey on a jobsite into PE credit, I'd be pretty astounded.

Artemis Pockels
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
company names?

Reno
07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
If you can turn a year of being a trailer jockey on a jobsite into PE credit, I'd be pretty astounded.
I've got a knack for those things and know a couple guys. Even if I were unable, a PE would be only 3 years out.

Yankee
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
but then you won't be a good PE, the experience requirement is designed for exposure and learning, it's the real world, not some silly pre-requisite in college

You will probably kill people.

Reno
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
but then you won't be a good PE, the experience requirement is designed for exposure and learning, it's the real world, not some silly pre-requisite in college

You will probably kill people.
it's tough to kill people by mis-sizing HVAC systems