t-493453 Swimming [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Swimming

Excommunicated
06-23-2007, 07:15 PM
So now that it is summer and I am getting my tan, I need to start getting into shape. I've never tried swimming before, but it sounds like it would get you in great shape. My college has an olympic pool to swim laps at. I am wondering if anyone else here swims for exercise?

How often should you swim? Once a day? What about hitting the gym? Alternating days?

I have a regular swimsuit and a pair of good goggles. That's all you need right?

I played competitive soccer year round for 10 years but want to try something besides runnig.

BeLiaL
06-23-2007, 08:39 PM
What are your goals? Are you trying to get into shape so that you are healthy or just trying to look good for the ladies?

DillingerEscp
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it depends on your goals really.

Swimming is amazing for general health.
My favorite thing to do for cardio, and the easiest for HIIT... I just do one lap all out, and then 2 laps slow and easy, then 1 lap all out, etc etc.

Excommunicated
06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
HIIT?

My goal is really to be good looking for the ladies. I just want a tight body and upper body strength. My legs are in great shape, always have been. But with all the drinking and smoking college has brought on coupled with my metabolism slowing down I've probably put on 5 lbs of fat. I don't want to be huge, but slim and toned.. I am not sure if swimming builds muscle or just cuts off fat? I really can't stand the gym at my school, bunch of frat boys who socialize 80% of the time, and it's packed full of them.

schmidty091
06-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I know someone who was fat as **** until they joined the swim team. They were skinny about halfway through the season.

sheex
06-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Swimming everyday, sometimes twice a day (1 hour+ each time) is ****ing amazing for you. I ate like **** and didnt work out ever until 12th grade besides swimming and i was always toned and skinny. But scrappy, never muscly.

You really do NOT want to swim in a regular swim suit, get either jammers, a speedo, or a dragsuit. Your form will suffer from weird drag in a normal swimsuit. Also, try and learn proper technique, so read up on good drills for form. Helps a lot. I swam for 16 years.

oops, this is Goshin

sheex
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Also, beind land fit means jack **** in the water. I can swim for miles but i'm terrible at running and land fitness. So take it easy on yourself for a while. Also, in a 50 yard lap pool, give yourself extra time since you wont be recieving a boost off the wall every 25 yards.

TheGhost
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
hey there pro swimmer dude

i have a badass pool at my new apartment complex, what are some good swimming techniques to get in shape

i lift alot, my legs are in ****ing amazing shape from soccer my whole life, but i'm trying to do some cardio and get more cut, and swimming seems to be ideal

Rev. Zen
06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Form and technique are a major factor in lap swimming. If you do not get those down pat, then you will probably lose interest as it is hard as hell to maintain a decent pace to keep your heartrate up.

Swimming Technique Article (http://outside.away.com/magazine/0896/9608body.html)

noobfactorNF
06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I started swimming about a month ago after every Lift.

Ive lost a noticeable ammount of Kangaroo pouch on my stomach. If i tense my stomach I can see the pack comin thru. If you do Triceps at the gym and then swim laps backwards with arms only, youll have a really good workout.

sheex
06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
kicking is essential too though. Arms only workouts in the pool are good sometimes, but its essentially an isolation workout. To get the best bang for your buck, kick rapidly and also use your arms.

Different stroke techniques can be 6kick 1 stroke, finger tip drag where you run the tips of your fingers over the water while dragging your thumb from the bottom of your hip to i guess near your armpit each stroke (improves your elbow bend), always breathing on every 3 strokes changing sides with each breath (keeps a good rotation), one sided 25 yard, switch for each 25....

i'm forgetting a lot, but those are all for free style. You want to change it from free to backstroke to breast to fly to work different muscles. Also, drink lots of water becuase you wont notice the sweat, but you lose a whoooole lot of fluid swimming.

Goshin

blazindave
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Also, beind land fit means jack **** in the water. I can swim for miles but i'm terrible at running and land fitness. So take it easy on yourself for a while. Also, in a 50 yard lap pool, give yourself extra time since you wont be recieving a boost off the wall every 25 yards.

I can attest to this. Swimming is all technique. You might be able to bench 400 pounds or do 40 one handed pullups, but when you swim, it means nothing.
Go to your uni's swimming pool or whatever and join a master class. They ll teach you proper form.

edit: if i could find my triathlon magazines...they had an advert for swimming classes that seemed rly good.

Excommunicated
06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
well i went swimming for 2nd time, this time did 25 laps all frestyle with goggles (first time just 10 without goggles). feel really great right now.

I am still not clear whether or not it is contradictry to swim 4 days a week and workout 3 days? or should I go through heavy cardio and heavy lifting phases? If I had to guess it's just slower lifting and swimming to see the results.

blazindave
06-26-2007, 08:20 PM
well i went swimming for 2nd time, this time did 25 laps all frestyle with goggles (first time just 10 without goggles). feel really great right now.

I am still not clear whether or not it is contradictry to swim 4 days a week and workout 3 days? or should I go through heavy cardio and heavy lifting phases? If I had to guess it's just slower lifting and swimming to see the results.

If its for ladies, then just lift and do some swimming.

DropSquad
06-27-2007, 01:31 AM
HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training.

The jist is to keep your heart at optimum speed. So for swiming as was meantioned if you go 1 lap all out, 2 laps chill, then essentially your heart is still racing for those 2 laps, but you're getting a bit of rest so you can do it all over.

Google it if it sounds like something you're into. There are many people who swear by HIIT for getting toned.

Zanick
06-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Kicking is very important, also when your doing freestyle (crawl for some) it's important to extend your arms as much as you can and cup your hands. This way you are able to push more water for a better workout and improve your form.

The Prowler
06-28-2007, 02:00 AM
If you're truly serious about becoming an efficient swimmer, this book comes highly recommended:

Amazon.com: Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier: Books: Terry Laughlin,John Delves (http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2123299-2272113?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183010274&sr=8-1)

Helped me shave quite a bit of time off my tri times.

blazindave
06-28-2007, 02:09 AM
If you're truly serious about becoming an efficient swimmer, this book comes highly recommended:

Amazon.com: Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier: Books: Terry Laughlin,John Delves (http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2123299-2272113?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183010274&sr=8-1)

Helped me shave quite a bit of time off my tri times.

Son of a *****, i think that was the add in the tri magazines.
Total Immersion Swimming (http://www.totalimmersion.net/)