Gaming mouse + Mousepad

snow

Veteran X
The scroll wheel on my mouse is dieing so ive decided its time to get a new one. Current mouse is some crappy MS one that came with my pc. After reading a bit it seems that a good mouse can really improve your gaming performance, so I am wondering what the best one is. From what i have read the G5 G7 Deathadder and MX1000 are pretty much the top 4?

Also I have been using a standard giveaway mousepad so was going to get a good one of those too, i dont have a lot of room on my desk and was thinking that the razer exactmat might be good. are these worth the money, and are there any others i should consider?

ive tried all the "gaming" mice and always go back to the standard logitech optical. it may be just me, but all the new mice seem heavy as fuck./ paying more than $30 for a corded mouse is a gimmick IMO.

my mouse

Last edited:
What's your price range?

And if you use an optical mouse you shouldn't have to use a mouse pad (depending on what your desk is made of).

Ultra-accurate mousing surfaces make ALL the difference when you're talking about a mouse of the quality you want to buy.

You absolutely shouldn't pay more than $10 for a mousepad, unless it's something deluxe like a $50 sheet of stainless steel. (what my welder friend uses)

I ought a Microthin Wowpad a while ack, when I was using a wire rack for a computer desk -- no solid surface means no mouse works. I think I paid $3-$5 for it at office depot.

Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 or Microsoft Habu for the comfort factor, despite their lower performance on synthetic benchmarks. Deathadder otherwise (apparently best performance, and it's not all weird-as-fuck shaped).

I use a normal mousepad, and it's smooth. I don't notice any issues with it despite what people say.

Last edited:
get an mx510/518 w/ QcK Steelpad (which are cloth, Steel is just a shitty brand name)
the 510 would be better for low resolutions, although you can drop the 518 down to 400dpi too
get an Allsop if there's no shops selling QcK

518 does 500-1000hz polling rate, i think 510 does 250-500
the 510's also come with a weight inside them, but you can take them out, plus they work w/ mouseware software (in win2k), and don't have 2 useless "change sens" buttons

trust me

edit: read this if you really care ESR - Article

ved why i still pay attention to this crap, I rarely game anymore

Last edited:
Oh my shit, I fucking love this tilt wheel (I recently bought a logitech g5).

I can finally fucking sidescroll with ease.

Oh my shit, I fucking love this tilt wheel (I recently bought a logitech g5).

I can finally fucking sidescroll with ease.
Is it really so important to you? It was a neat gimmick at first to me, xut now it rarely works in programs, and I've forgotten axout it.

edit: read this if you really care ESR - Article

ved why i still pay attention to this crap, I rarely game anymore

Honestly, synthetic benchmarks are only useful to a point with mice. Unless you move your mice at speeds approaching c, I doubt even most gamers would be bothered by the malfunction speed of any decent gaming mouse.

I still put comfort up at #1, so long as you know you're buying a decent mouse. Figure out what you like. I still prefer the Intellimouse style, but some people like Logitech's weirdness, or Razer's style more.

comfortwise, the original Mouseman Wheel is still the best shape
logi4.jpg

the MS 3.0's would be in my top 5 though, the 4.0's were awful, including buttons that break after 6 months

don't get an MX1000 if you lift mice w/ your thumb/pinky btw, the weight is off-centered, and it flops/loses tracking when on an angle

this thread is also useful for peoples opinions on their mice
ESR - Hardware Forum
it stopped me from buying the mx400

obviously most gamers never reach their mouses point of failure
most modern games don't require the fast reflexes that were required in q2 instagib/qw either

Saitek gaming mouse and razer laser pad. Its nice but its really slick as in slippery. the movement can easily be overdone.

As I noted in my thread earlier today, I'm definitely getting a G7 and a G15 once I get $200.

Back