Disk boot failure

Durak

Veteran XV
So I was loading a game then got a black screen, rebooted my comp and then suddenly it says Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk.

I have one hard drive in my comp, connected to SATA-1. It is recognized in the BIOS, but not by windows. If I put in a windows xp install cd and try to go to recovery console, it says no drive detected.

Does anyone have suggestions? Are there are any bootable programs that will repair the boot sector on hard drive on boot?

XP disk in the cd...boot from cd.
SATA drivers on a floppy.
When it says 'Hit F6 to use SATA drivers,' hit F6.

Then try the repair option.

XP disk in the cd...boot from cd.
SATA drivers on a floppy.
When it says 'Hit F6 to use SATA drivers,' hit F6.

Then try the repair option.

dont have a floppy drive. is that bootable program (i.e. like partition magic) that repairs your boot like that? i mean on a cd drive of course

dont have a floppy drive. is that bootable program (i.e. like partition magic) that repairs your boot like that? i mean on a cd drive of course

Sounds like you're fucked.
Although the last time mine did that I just hit the reset button and it booted fine.

it can't read the drive

you can't get to it in recovery console because it's sata and windows is teh suck. you either need the motherboard's sata driver floppy or you need to set the sata controller mode to SATA from RAID in the bios

but none of that matters cause it sounds like your drive is fubar

might try getting a windows 98 boot disk and booting to that
then run the fdisk command

with the fdisk /mbr switch
this repairs the master boot record.

it can't read the drive

you can't get to it in recovery console because it's sata and windows is teh suck. you either need the motherboard's sata driver floppy or you need to set the sata controller mode to SATA from RAID in the bios

but none of that matters cause it sounds like your drive is fubar

im downloading the western digital diagnostic utility and booting off that

seeing if they can fix this shit

if not, wd owes me a new hard drive

good news #2

i was ready to get an rma on the phone w/ wd tech support and i opened my comp up to get the serial number and gave it to him. as he was getting ready to process it, i randomly decided to change the connection from sata 1 to sata 2

and it fucking worked. windows booted, did a chkdsk and bam everything is fine.

lesson: never give up and try everything randomly possible (within reason of course)

So basically you're a moron and didn't have it on SATA0?

i had it on the first sata connection, if that's sata0 then yes, then i switched it to the second and it worked

the first one was fried

basically you're a fucking idiot who thinks he knows what he's talking about but instead it's just diarrhea coming from your keyboard

Installing to a SATA drive does not require drivers or a floppy. Only a RAID does.
And SL83, it doesn't matter what SATA port you use unless one is damaged or being flaky as in this case. It's not IDE.

i had it on the first sata connection, if that's sata0 then yes, then i switched it to the second and it worked

the first one was fried

basically you're a fucking idiot who thinks he knows what he's talking about but instead it's just diarrhea coming from your keyboard

Actually, the first SATA connection is called SATA A. Jeeze, you really know nothing about computers. I was just testing you to see if you agreed with SATA 0.

and Awww did I hit a sore spot?

rofl continue to pretend like you know what you're talking about. it's what you do best.

Wow, you really are stupid aren't you.

SATA is labeled with SATA A, SATA F, SATA G, SATA K.

And because each SATA channel can only handle 4 items, you can have a total of 16 drives connected, but they are further divided into SATA A 0 1 2 3
SATA F 0123, etc etc

Good job at sucking at computers.

Back