[drummers] tell me how to teach myself how to play.

loop

Veteran XX
Since my band started practicing at my house, I've had a drumkit in my basement. It's tempting me.

It's very, very tempting.

Problem is, if I sit down at the kit, I get paralyzed by indecision (I mean, how the hell do I teach myself how to play these things? What do I hit first? etc).

Are there any good resources online for complete beginners? Thanks in advance, etc!

I'm not a drummer, but I can tell you that the first thing you need to internalize is the hi-hat and bass. They're going to be the most consistent part of your rhythm, and getting used to the nuance of the pedals is (to me) one of the hardest things to get used to.

Just hit the damn things. Who cares what it sounds like. Until you get over the fear of it you won't learn anything.

practice coordinating your hi-hat, snare, and bass drum in very simple beats. the deciding factor on blood-born drummers is their ability to coordinate the bass drum, hi-hat, and snare together in time. have fun.

I want you to say: One and Two and Three and Four and... (rinse and repeat)

1: Close your hats.

2: With your right hand, hit the hats on 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

3: Stop hitting

4: With your left hand, hit your snare on 2 and 4

5: Put those two together (Hats all the time and snare on 2 and 4)

6: Stop hitting

7: Kick your bass drum on 1 and 3

8: Start your hats with the same rhythm from 2 above.

9: Start your snare on 2 and 4.

10: Rock.

That's how I learnt. Took about a minute :)

The hat is on my left - so should I still use my right hand to hit it - crossed over my body?

Yeah. Most right handers hit their hats with their right hand. And the hatstand is usually on their left side.

Your basic rock beat. It takes a min to coordinate your hands/feet but this is the basis you should start off on imo.

Once you get that beat down you could do something like hit the base drum 2 times on 3 (I.E. 1 and 2 and (hit hit) four and).

Work it so you get some coordination and then try throwing in some crash hits.. maybe a simple fill.

Also learn Paradise city by GNR it is pretty basic and fun to learn/play along with

thanks again for the advice guys. gonna take it home and see if i can't learn some coordination.

Listen to and memorize the drum parts from recordings. it's good for learning little tricks.

:)

P.S. - What sticks are you using?

Play along to songs. Best way to learn imo. Always count 1,2,3,4 in your head or keep it with your left foot.

Back