t-487086 Unreal weight gain? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Unreal weight gain?

Wannacookie
05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Hey guys.
After doing some research around here/other websites, I started my work out/diet plan. To give some background, I was pretty much a drunk, so I drank to excess every other day, if not every day. 5'11", was 195 pounds at that point. Since last month, I've been eating fairly strictly (2000 calories a day spread between 4 meals), drinking tons of water, and lifting every two days with cardio in between. I now weigh 207. I can deal I've gained a lot of strength, but I'm a bit concerned about the body fat.

Should I be worried? In the past, I've always been easily able to drop weight + strengthen up, but this seems extreme to me. I realize the scale isn't everything: I do look and feel a bit better. However, the point of me lifting hasn't been to bulk up, but rather build more lean muscle to improve my metabolism with the cardio work encouraging weight loss as well.

Any ideas/tips? Otherwise, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing: I've got to assume it's mostly water weight due to dehydration from drinking but meh.

blazindave
05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Pushups? Pushups.

Obskure
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Pushups? Pushups.

Shut the **** ups.

Goshin
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
**** lol

i wish i had that problem of gaining 15 pounds in a month *envious*
Do less weight more reps, increase your cardio...2k cals isnt a lot so i dont wanna say decrease cals, but maybe you should decrease cals by 250 :p

blazindave
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Endurance tends to burn more fat. Lifting weights is not the best way to burn that fat. While you could gain muscle that helps burn fat through lifting, it will take you a long time. I suggest running (at least 5km), swimming (1km) or biking (15km) to help you. And of course, pushups.

Lynx [TKB]
05-11-2007, 04:15 PM
A lot of that is probably water weight. Start using body fat calipers instead of a scale to gauge progress on fat loss.

filsinger
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
blazindave please show me scientific studies proven to show pushups are superior to weight lifting, and that video of you benching 345lbs and You will have my respect.

blazindave
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
blazindave please show me scientific studies proven to show pushups are superior to weight lifting, and that video of you benching 345lbs and You will have my respect.

I never said pushups > weight lifting. Depends on what your goals are. I just say that because everyone freaks out.
I also don't have anything here that weighs close to 345 pounds :(

haha, i was actually curious so i gooled to see if a study had been done. Here's a lovely rant for you guys:
Biography of Matt Furey- Health and Fitness Expert (http://www.mattfurey.com/combatconditioningmattfur y.html)

Wannacookie
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. As for "Endurance burns more fat than weight lifting"....this I know, the act of it. However, I'm trying to up my metabolism/resting calorie burn rate as well, thus the lifting.

blazindave
05-11-2007, 04:55 PM
:bigthumb: Best of luck, bro.

Lynx [TKB]
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. As for "Endurance burns more fat than weight lifting"....this I know, the act of it. However, I'm trying to up my metabolism/resting calorie burn rate as well, thus the lifting.

You're absolutely right. Cardio does burn fat immediately, but in excess it will also catabolize your muscles. So if you purely want to lose weight - go ahead and run nonstop. If you want to lose fat and maintain lean body mass - lifting with cardio in the right doses at the right time is ideal. Keep doing what you're doing!

filsinger
05-11-2007, 08:07 PM
I never said pushups > weight lifting. Depends on what your goals are. I just say that because everyone freaks out.
I also don't have anything here that weighs close to 345 pounds :(

haha, i was actually curious so i gooled to see if a study had been done. Here's a lovely rant for you guys:
Biography of Matt Furey- Health and Fitness Expert (http://www.mattfurey.com/combatconditioningmattfur y.html)

You said you HAVE benched 345lbs, so what did you use?

blazindave
05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
You said you HAVE benched 345lbs, so what did you use?

http://blog.mediacatalyst.com/images/seriousbusiness.jpg

Ayz had spelled it out for everyone. I was just being retarded :shrug: I never touch weights beyond 20 pounds.

BeLiaL
05-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I want to do blazindave's calisthenic workout so I can look just like him!!!! Goofy and not built.

blazindave
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I looks built :(

BeLiaL
05-12-2007, 12:53 AM
ummmm.... no

blazindave
05-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Do too.