t-486767 gaining shoulder mass [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

gaining shoulder mass

Pages : [1] 2 3

mr_luc
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
What is the official meat-and-potatoes, bread-and-butter, gold standard, etc, exercise for shoulders? I do push-presses, but not as regularly as other exercises; are they the way to go?

ps, woohoo I'm back from ecuador ... lost 10lbs there. Down to a pretty ripped 190lbs thanks to whatever gives you morning squirts there, but I lost some muscle as well due to several months of only surfing (paddling) as exercise.

I went on crossfit for 3 months before going to Ecuador, but didn't stay on it down there. Still, I'm super damned happy with my level of fitness now, and now am only looking to add some mass here and there, to complement the level I'm currently maintaining.

BeLiaL
05-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Military press works your shoulders really well -- but mainly the front part

Lateral raises will work the sides

And the most important lift, in my opinion, is rear deltoid raises. A lot of people end up looking hunchbacked because they've worked the front and not the back of their shoulders.

Bomba
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
there are three deltoid heads. front, side, rear. gotta work em all for good shoulders. my fav shoulder exercises are dumbell military press(front) and upright rows(side). i dont have a fav rear delt exercise cause they all suck and hurt :)

Fartypants
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
behind the neck barbell press
upright rows
side raises
front raises
bent over raises
reverse pec deck

in that order

blazindave
05-09-2007, 10:56 PM
pullups.
BeLial talks out of his ass, don't listen to him.

mr_luc
05-09-2007, 11:35 PM
pullups.
BeLial talks out of his ass, don't listen to him.
le sigh.

I'm a crossfit man, I know all about pullups (personal best 29). I want to add meat on my shoulders. I'm 6'4" and would like to bulk while I'm in the states over the next 3 months, so I need to build muscle using either bodybuilding or strength training techniques, not bodyweight exercises that get good results on 5'5" gymnasts.

blazindave
05-09-2007, 11:37 PM
le sigh.

I'm a crossfit man, I know all about pullups (personal best 29). I want to add meat on my shoulders. I'm 6'4" and would like to bulk while I'm in the states over the next 3 months, so I need to build muscle using either bodybuilding or strength training techniques, not bodyweight exercises that get good results on 5'5" gymnasts.

:shrug: Then do what BeLiaL and Fartypants said.

Lynx [TKB]
05-10-2007, 02:17 AM
behind the neck barbell press

Be careful with this one. Never bring the bar below the ear line and never use weight high enough to break form. This exercise and a few others have been known to cause rotator cuff injuries when they're performed poorly over long periods of time.

mr_luc
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I'm a tremendous ***** about behind-the-neck presses; I have no one to tell me when my form's off and I can just imagine some day something going 'pop', and suddenly, 'now he'll never be a lawyer'.
crossfit

Fartypants
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
k so military presses to the chin

mr_luc
05-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks folks, I like military presses and will start doing them now.

Also, ordering a copy of Starting Strength ... I've put that off for nearly a year now, but no more!

BeLiaL
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
:rofl:

dave, did you know that pullups work your lats?

****ing moron

Ares
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Military Press is THE exercise for front delts

Lateral raises for the sides

Scarecrow for fine tuning

blazindave
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
:rofl:

dave, did you know that pullups work your lats?

****ing moron

Pullups also work the shoulders.

Can anyone here do this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/93/Onearmpullup.gif/100px-Onearmpullup.gif

mr_luc
05-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Yes, blazindave, you're right -- pullups, particularly if you mix them up with grip in/out, kipping vs strict, etc, are basically the upper-body "pulling"/contracting exercise of awesomeness, and it's a shame that it's neglected so much, and when done with variety (as above, but also just getting used to the bar, and doing things like knee raises from dead hang) it hits practically every muscle in your upper body one way or another, so it is theoretically possible to get surprisingly buff with just pullups and pullup-related activities, particularly if you're shorter, because, well, look at gymnasts ...

But let's not go overboard on it. It's not the fount of all fitness, it's just an opportunity too many people miss out on. It's not a substitute for DL's, for squats, for benching (which I *have* neglected, actually; after South America I can only bench 210), or push-press/military press.

Those exercises are the best in the world for helping you:

pick stuff up (DL),
lift stuff (squat),
push stuff (bench),
press stuff overhead (overhead presses ... well, and handstand pushups ;))

And, of course, sometimes people like me stray from the purer faith (getting stronger and more capable) and just want to pack on some meat in specific spots for aesthetics. Hell, that's what most people work out for ALL the time.

In my case, it's because I'm going down to Ecuador and between the diet, loads of surfing/swimming, parasites, etc, it's sort of like a months-long natural cutting cycle.

blazindave
05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
No, i agree. Was just saying :p:. Question: Is it (physically) possible to do a chinup (palms facing away) with one hand?

BeLiaL
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
No, i agree. Was just saying :p:. Question: Is it (physically) possible to do a chinup (palms facing away) with one hand?

It is physically possible

mr_luc
05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg
Of course.

SL83
05-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Pullups also work the shoulders.

Can anyone here do this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/93/Onearmpullup.gif/100px-Onearmpullup.gif

That guy is cheating by kicking his legs and using momentum with his other arm.

mr_luc
05-11-2007, 09:35 PM
That guy is cheating by kicking his legs and using momentum with his other arm.
Is it the same in the vid I link above?

P.S. -- cf uses a kipping pullup by default.