[wii] Using Internet Connection Sharing in Vista/XP

Beef Welington

Veteran XV
So I've got a dorm network that requires a logon, so the ol' wii can't connect. I've been using my roommate's Macbook on a wired ethernet connection to share the internet wirelessly, and then connecting to that with the wii. It works just fine, but I can't seem to set it up on my computer. I'm running Vista, but it seems to work the same as in XP.

I've been googling and all I can find in terms of instructions are the same as in the useless Vista help file:

Enabling ICS
To enable ICS, on your host computer:

Click to open Network Connections.

Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.

Note
The Sharing tab will not be available if you have only one network connection.

If desired, you can also select the Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection check box.

Optionally, to allow other network users to use services running on your network, click Settings and select the services you want to allow.

So this is completely unclear, and doesn't seem to work anyway. I've got a laptop with two connections: wired and wireless. So my first question is which one am I trying to share? I would say I'm trying to share my wired connection wirelessly. Anyway, I tried enabling sharing for both my wireless and my wired connections, and neither time did the wii catch any broadcasted signals.

So what I'm wondering is how I can create a visible network that some other device can connect to. I've sort of messed around with bridging connections, but I don't really understand what that means anyway. So any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

It would be even better if you had any wii-specific information, but any hints at all regarding ICS would be fantastic.

You want to set the share on the wired connection. You need to set up a wireless p2p connection on the laptop wireless card but i am not sure if the Wii can connect to that sort of connection.

Nintendo does make a usb dongle that you can plug into your wired computer and make a connection for the Wii

you want to share the wired connection, but wireless doesn't work exactly like ethernet (in that you can just plug shit in and it works).. normally speaking, you'd have an access point, and all the clients connect into that, but you should be able to set your laptop up to do a direct host-host connection, you may need to do the same with the Wii.

Slight hijack: I'm trying to connect to the university wireless, but this requires a username and a password -- WPA-PSK (TKIP). Preliminary googling says I'm going to have to buy the Nintendo USB dongle. Anyone have any success in this regard?

Back