Avid Express Pro question.

DillingerEscp

Veteran XV
Im trying to get this movie into avid, everytime I try and import it it says that the target Harddrive is full, and tells me to pick a new drive, but the file Im trying to import is 700 megs, and there is over 3 gigs free on this comp ?

Does anyone know why this is happening ?

Avid converts any movie into its own file type.

I.E. I want to import Tribalwar.avi into my Avid Project. In a folder called OMFI Media Files on the target hard drive, Avid creates its own video and audio files. They are essentially uncompressed for better playback and as a result are fucking huge.

Okay... well I dont want to sacrafice too much quality, you think scaling everything down a lot would work ? or is there anyway I can make it not uncompress ??

Changing the resolution might, but even then they take up large amounts of room. It's sort of like having uncompressed .avi files. No matter how small they are its still a lot of information.

Changing the resolution might, but even then they take up large amounts of room. It's sort of like having uncompressed .avi files. No matter how small they are its still a lot of information.

hm, alright thanks... I kept getting to 8% of the with 3 gigs, so Im just deleting a ton of shit off of this computer to get up to around 40 gigs, not really supposed to delete stuff. but oh well.

Okay, so I have the fucking thing imported, now when I drag the .avi file to the composer thing it says I need a sequence, but the sequence is like... 0 seconds... anyone know wtf is up ?

editt::

I have the .omf files, but I cant do anything with them ? I dont know, Im confused and fucking pissed. about to kill women and children.

Last edited:
Avid has a steep learning curve, its a pain in the ass for awhile while you are learning.

You don't do anything with the OMFI files, Avid references them, so you don't directly touch them.

To mess with your footage you create a sequence. You'll have 1 bin open by default, right click inside it and hit create sequence. There will be a timeline with nothing on it. Now double click on your movie file and it will load into the source window. You add in and out points and drop it into the timeline.

The easiest way to look at it is like a traditional film editing station. The sequence is the editing table. You take your film reel (movie file) and cut bits and pieces together on the table.

Once you get that down you can use either the red/yellow arrows to rearrange by dragging and dropping, and the trim roll tool to adjust head/tail on the clip.

It's very confusing at first but I hope that helps a bit.

alright that helps, I didnt know that.
but it still isnt working, I have it all in the timeline, but the footage just comes up as a white screen, and the sound is just little blips. . . . .
I mean like, when I double click the .avi file, a white screen comes up, not the movie... but it is the same length as the movie.

Back