I saw El Mariachi. I cant believe the whole thing only cost $7k to make

Reggs

Veteran XX
I've been to film festivals where I have seen movies made with 20k and it pretty much consisted of a few people standing/sitting in a room talking to each other the whole time.

I remember seeing an El Mariachi poster as a kid before. It's hard to believe that such a cheap film saw such a wide release.

I really liked the dream sequences. They were my favorite parts of the movie.

el-mariachi.jpeg

I thought this thread was going to reveal El Mariachi as a cheap robot. Hes short to save money.

This thread was almost good.

I have never seen a double disk pack before, only the mexico trilogy. When did you get it?

When the movie was made, they borrowed a bunch of uzi's from the mexican government. The blanks they used for the movie wouldn't feed right through the gun, and all they could do was single shots because they wouldn't eject properly. So each uzi scene you see in that movie is actually three angles of a single shot. Some fyi from the behind the scenes on the dvd.

There was an article about this in Entertainment Weekly once upon a time. The $7K thing is a myth. At the time, RR had many resources available for free (editing software and PCs, etc) that would typically cost the average joe a good deal of money. The print that you saw was remastered with new audio as well. At the end, it actually cost several hundred thousand when you factor in the free things for which anyone else would have paid.

All the same, it's a significant achievement, and it shows that $$$ != good movie.

I can. He's an SA turd. What I can't believe is that he gets away with charging you to visit his Lowtax House of Chicken and Waffles franchise.

There was an article about this in Entertainment Weekly once upon a time. The $7K thing is a myth. At the time, RR had many resources available for free (editing software and PCs, etc) that would typically cost the average joe a good deal of money. The print that you saw was remastered with new audio as well. At the end, it actually cost several hundred thousand when you factor in the free things for which anyone else would have paid.

All the same, it's a significant achievement, and it shows that $$$ != good movie.

I think your logic is a bit creative.

Who gives a flying fuck what you think?

logroller is half right, about what you ended up seeing. He transfered the movie to video tape, and cut it to video tape, because he was trying to sell it to the Mexican "Straight to Video" market. His actual cut of the movie on video tape has actually got better color, and the audio is synced better. But to transfer it to a film print, it cost them around $200k at a studio in LA to master/etc, and he said he never liked the color loss they had to try to fix/etc.

And the 7,000$ that he used was mostly for film & processing at the time, as it was shot on a 16mm arriflex(sp?) camera he borrowed. He used less then $1,000 on actual props/cast/etc. He cut the film at a local public access station for free, theres usually one in the area you can use for free if you signup. Borrowed the Camera. He really only bought film, and paid processing.

my 2 cents.

Back