t-482108 Best time to work out? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Best time to work out?

frikazoyd
04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I am a fat load, and have been told that doing aerobic exercise five times a week is what I need to start losing weight. That and a diet change.

So to get started with this, I need something easy to pick up for a couch potato (that is, no real equipment required, I don't expect hard work to be easy). Is jogging a good choice?

Also, is there a "best" time to work out? Does jogging early in the morning jumpkick my metabolism? What does the best job of burning the fat away?

kicker
04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I am a fat load, and have been told that doing aerobic exercise five times a day is what I need to start losing weight. That and a diet change.

So to get started with this, I need something easy to pick up for a couch potato (that is, no real equipment required, I don't expect hard work to be easy). Is jogging a good choice?

Also, is there a "best" time to work out? Does jogging early in the morning jumpkick my metabolism? What does the best job of burning the fat away?

if you're a fat ass i wouldn't start out doing cardio 5 times a day.. that's a little extreme IMO. i would start changing what i eat first then work up to jogging a couple times a week. It has been said that a fast paced walk burns off almost if not the same amount of calories as jogging. so depending on your endurance/ability you could start with afast paced walk or a slow jog for about 20 to 30 minutes a couple times of week. but what do i know....

as far as the best time to workout.... IMO any time you workout is the best time to workout. there are people that will swear by doing it in the morning because it will burn your fat stores and blah blah blah, but any time to workout is a good time if you're just starting out.

frikazoyd
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, I'm not Jared from Subway fat. I'm 250, 6'0. Clinically obese, and I doubt my body fat percentage is very flattering. I've got a gut, but I can walk a mile without getting winded. Walking briskly doesn't do a very good job of raising my heart rate, so I don't think it would qualify as "aerobic".

kazan
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Research has shown that you burn more calories during a workout done at the end of your day, as opposed to the beginning.

However, I do not think that research takes into account the boosted metabolism from starting with a good workout in the morning, and eating healthy throughout the day.

But yeah, I'd say definitely start off by doing some fast paced walking with some jogging tossed in occasionally, to start off with. Then move up to cardio workouts.

Rambro
04-11-2007, 03:40 PM
i could have sworn morning workouts produce the best results

what "research" are you speaking of

kicker
04-11-2007, 03:44 PM
i could have sworn morning workouts produce the best results

what "research" are you speaking of

the internet. what other research is there.

kazan
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
It was in some fitness book I was browsing through some time ago.
It said that during the workout, you burn more calories. I don't doubt it.
That doesn't mean it's better, because you ramp up your body late in the day, and then you rest. Whereas working out in the morning, you keep going, and your metabolism stays higher throughout the day, and burns more calories overall, not just the duration of the workout.

Rambro
04-11-2007, 03:52 PM
after doing some "research"

morning exercise= good for burning fat when exercising/running on empty stomach, helping you stick to routine, requires longer stretch time to prevent injury

evening= muscles are warmed up which allows for more intense workouts, are often skipped due to lifes activities competing for the scheduled gym time

DillingerEscp
04-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I am a fat load, and have been told that doing aerobic exercise five times a day is what I need to start losing weight. That and a diet change.

5 times a day ?? thats way too much.

Im thinking you meant 5 times a week, which is alright. I usually do it in the morning. Some people say doing it on an empty stomach is the way to go, others say that is the wrong way to go, but I have read from some top body builders that they usually take some BCAA's, or eat a little high protein food and do cardio to start the day off.

and yes, doing cardio will catapult your metabolism for the day, so morning is probably best.
But honestly, if you just do the cardio, that is much better than what most people can say... there is no magical time of day to do cardio... But morning's are probably a bit more effective.

frikazoyd
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
5 times a day ?? thats way too much.

Im thinking you meant 5 times a week, which is alright.

Edited, thanks.

And thanks for the advice all.

So what is considered good cardio? What else can I do to break the monotony other than jogging?

DillingerEscp
04-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Edited, thanks.

And thanks for the advice all.

So what is considered good cardio? What else can I do to break the monotony other than jogging?

Row machine is one of my favorites. swimming, if its available and youre decent enough to get a workout out of it.

eliptical, bike machine (although its a pain in the ass to burn calories with the bike machine)
Stair master.
Jump rope, Ski Machines.

Run in place with andrew wk playing.

Row machine is my favorite though.

kicker
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
i actually enjoy running the most.

1: running
2: swimming
3: stair master
4: stationary bike
5: elliptical machine

i've never done the row machine other than the lifting form of seated rows.

Ares
04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
For fat loss, in the morning after half a scoop of protein. No fats, no carbs

For lifting I've always heard the late afternoon, I dunno though

As always the best time is anytime you will actually do it.

BeLiaL
04-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Good cardio is being at your target heart rate for at least 20 minutes. Look up on the internet to find your target heart rate

DontShoot
04-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Ares is right;

The best time is the time you will actually do it. I alternate between mornings and evenings, depending on what my schedule is going to be like. I have class tues/thurs nights so I exercise in the morning those days.

I do the bike. Think low-impact if you're at the beginning stages of weight loss. Your knees will thank you.

Goshin
04-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I workout generally a night. Sometimes around midnight, usually around 10pm. Best time for me, and it works.

Find a time and stick with it i guess

slut
04-11-2007, 10:22 PM
workout whenever you want. Just be consistent and workout 5 days a week and you will get results quick with proper diet.

blazindave
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Think low-impact if you're at the beginning stages of weight loss. Your knees will thank you.

workout whenever you want. Just be consistent and workout 5 days a week and you will get results quick with proper diet.

T-Funk
04-12-2007, 05:19 AM
yeah when i started losing weight i was at the gym every single night at 2 am and then id come home and eat a giant plate of pasta with chicken and go to bed
lost a lot of weight, but i wouldnt suggest my way lol