t-481983 Running and weight lifting [legs] [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Running and weight lifting [legs]

Kamel
04-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I quit smoking after 6 years in January and I began running a couple of months ago. I started out slow, about a mile a day, because my lungs were having a hard time. I would barely be able to breathe by the time that mile was done. Now I'm up to about 2.5 a day and my lungs are MUCH better. Now I'm at the point where it isn't my lungs holding me back, but my legs. Its frustrating because I thought once I was past the lung ****, I would be able to go 5 miles no problem.

My question: Should I start weight training my legs to increase speed? I would think yes, but then I will probably be too sore to run every day, which may have an adverse effect on my speed due to lack of training. What do you think?

Cliffs:

Want to increase running speed
Weight train legs or just keep running daily?

Darkstrand
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
So it's not an issue of your legs getting tired when you run 2.5 miles its an issue of not moving quickly?

Kamel
04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
So it's not an issue of your legs getting tired when you run 2.5 miles its an issue of not moving quickly?

My legs are tired, but I don't feel like they are that tired. I think I could push it to 3 without too much trouble. My issue is that my time isn't improving. Before I moved up to 2.5, my 2.0 time was almost exactly the same every day for 3 weeks. I would feel like I was pushing myself more than usual but would get almost exactly the same time as I got the day before. I want to polish a minute or two off my time in the next few months.

Goshin
04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
move your legs faster. Run harder.

Or hit the gym if you think you've reached your peak speed. When my legs were super scrawny, i could run about 15 miles per hour i think. Move your feet!

BeLiaL
04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
My legs are tired, but I don't feel like they are that tired. I think I could push it to 3 without too much trouble. My issue is that my time isn't improving. Before I moved up to 2.5, my 2.0 time was almost exactly the same every day for 3 weeks. I would feel like I was pushing myself more than usual but would get almost exactly the same time as I got the day before. I want to polish a minute or two off my time in the next few months.

Wear a watch so you can keep yourself at whatever pace you want to run it

blazindave
04-10-2007, 10:37 PM
move your legs faster. Run harder.

Or hit the gym if you think you've reached your peak speed. When my legs were super scrawny, i could run about 15 miles per hour i think. Move your feet!

You mean you could maintain a speed of 15 miles/h for longer periods of time?

Goshin
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
lol, for about uhm... 1/5 of a mile tops at which point i'd be winded severly