Uploading 101

orbital 123

Veteran XX
How Uploading Works

The two main ways of doing that have been proposed is either slicing the brain very gently and just scanning it in some way or injecting some kind of a nanotechnology entities into it that can look at and figure out how to emulate each neuron and either kill off that neuron and replace it, as that opportunity is available, or somehow stand alongside it and eventually have an image of every neuron in the whole brain that’s being transmitted out by these nanobots.

I'm going for the second option when available.

I found this interesting food for thought as well.

I talk to a lot of people and do a lot of stuff that is fun in the way of educating people, such as with the website: How Stuff Works. One thing I know about talking with the general public is that no one is thinking at the level that is being thought of here and no one is sitting around in their living rooms watching television and thinking, wow, in 20 or 30 years, I can have my brain uploaded. That is just not in the public consciousness.

I have to work at a little bit different level when trying to help people understand the pace of technological change. To help people understand the pace of technological change, I can’t use computers because most people don’t have a real good grasp of computers. I can use airplanes because everybody understands airplanes.

If you look back to 1903, and at the moment this happened in normal society, there were no skyscrapers and there were not cars yet because the model-T was not invented until 1909.

There wasn’t air conditioning, refrigeration, lighting was still - some of it was electrified but a lot of it was kerosene. The concept of the galaxy had not been invented yet so if people looked at the stars, no one thought of galaxies yet because that does not get invented until 1920.

This rickety, wooden, fabric thing takes off, off the ground, and flies for 200 feet. And if you were to say to people in 1903, hey, we just had the first airplane, now think about this, 50 years from now, there’s going to be a giant aluminum version of this, except that it’s going to be about three football fields long and it’s going to be able to fly faster than the speed of sound and it’s going to be able to carry 70,000 pounds of bombs around, all the way to the other side of the world, and drop them on foreign nations if it wants to. That will all happen in 50 years.

They would have just thought you were nuts and yet 50 years later the B-52 bomber, which is able to fly halfway around the world and drop 70,000 pounds of bombs on people, actually happened.

Now, 15 years, and not 50, is the pace of technological change. That is phenomenal and as Ray Kurzweil suggests, the pace is accelerating. Paradigms are shifting at a faster and faster rate.

So much of this proposed technology is just whimsical bullshit.

Not really. You could argue the same thing about all the science fiction over the 20th century and yet so many things that were first mentioned in science fiction have come to fruition. Satellites, the internet, space flight, the list goes on. You might as well call heart transplantation science fiction because it was seen as you see mind uploading at one time.

I can't wait til someone implants a flying car into the space above nanorbital's head and then fires an EMP burst at the car from a multi-purpose keychain that also has the ability to stop globalwarming within minutes.

:sunny:

Double click on a file to upload or to upload more than one file at a time click once on a file, then hold CTRL and click on other files until you have highlighted all the files you want to send and click the upload button on the main toolbar. Off they go.

I can't wait til someone implants a flying car into the space above nanorbital's head and then fires an EMP burst at the car from a multi-purpose keychain that also has the ability to stop globalwarming within minutes.

:sunny:

dude what the fuck does that mean?

orbital makes me think of those people in the 1960's who read in magazines that we would have flying cars and shit by the year 2000 and believe it

Why would we bother about that? Once we understand the brain to the point of being able to "upload" it we'll use that understanding to further modify the brain to enhance intelligence. Why shift away from an organic medium that serves the purposes of life quite well?

The reasoning in that article is idealistic bullshit. "Star Trek syndrome" - the idea that the future will play out in line with what we're seeing today.

Why would we bother about that? Once we understand the brain to the point of being able to "upload" it we'll use that understanding to further modify the brain to enhance intelligence. Why shift away from an organic medium that serves the purposes of life quite well?

The reasoning in that article is idealistic bullshit. "Star Trek syndrome" - the idea that the future will play out in line with what we're seeing today.

Because biology is more vulnerable to harm. I don't doubt that we will start with enhancement but it will quickly switch over to replacement once we figure out how to do it.

As for the way they see it playing out. We have come a long way from the 1950's and detecting trends in technological development. We could have flying cars but we don't because technically it doesn't work very well. What if you have drunk people flying these vehicles around? What about the technical difficulty of keeping track of millions of people flying through the sky's? These are real issues that are not easy to solve and it's much easy to just drive on the ground and use mass transit for the sky. This is a completely different issue from something like augmentation of the human body. It is desirable to alter your body to make yourself healthier, smarter, sturdier. It is desirable and the cost is much less and the danger to others is far less than with something like flying cars. If you can't see the reason why mind enhancement is feasible while flying cars isn't then you are extremely short sighted and clueless about technological development. This technology will start out helping people with brain damage and at some point will become better than what we have naturally and the process will become such that it will not be open head brain surgery but something along the lines of injecting nanobots into your body and then they move to the brain and begin their programming.

A biological brain is at risk for irreparable damage all the time. A solid state brain would be far more hardy and could also be backed up so that if severe damage occurred you wouldn't cease to exist in the sense that it would be more like you lost some time and then just woke up.

Orbital once we understand the brain to such a degree as to be able to upload its contents to an inorganic medium we will be able to outright change the physical nature of the organ. "Hardiness" wont be a problem because we will be able to redesign the system to include all the features you might imagine.

Also, there is no difference between having a solid-state "backup" and having an organic clone in terms of preserving one's consciousness. If we could duplicate our consciousness and put it on our hard drive it would follow that we could also put it into another brain through similar procedures.

In short, uploading is no less a dream than flying cars because it requires a level of technological sophistication that would allow for much more interesting applications.

Orbital once we understand the brain to such a degree as to be able to upload its contents to an inorganic medium we will be able to outright change the physical nature of the organ. "Hardiness" wont be a problem because we will be able to redesign the system to include all the features you might imagine.

Also, there is no difference between having a solid-state "backup" and having an organic clone in terms of preserving one's consciousness. If we could duplicate our consciousness and put it on our hard drive it would follow that we could also put it into another brain through similar procedures.

In short, uploading is no less a dream than flying cars because it requires a level of technological sophistication that would allow for much more interesting applications.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I found this to be interesting as well. If a nanofactory can build molecule by molecule then it should be able to build nanobots. so once you have a nanofactory it makes it that much easier to produce nanobots.

Molecular Manufacturing in 3 to 5 years?

The United Kingdom’s Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) recently sponsored an Ideas Factory on the “Software Control of Matter.” The result of this week-long multidiscipline collaboration is three ground-breaking research proposals that promise to bring molecular manufacturing closer to reality. . .

This is breaking news because it illustrates a dramatic shift in the thinking of the research community. Just a few years ago, many in the scientific community refused to admit that molecular manufacturing was even feasible, much less on the horizon. This denial of reality (after all, humans are complex molecular machines with the ability to produce copies of ourselves) was highlighted by the ongoing debate between Eric Drexler and the late Richard Smalley. In the course of just 3 to 4 years, it seems the idea of molecular manufacturing has experienced widespread adoption, and the question has shifted from “Can it be done?” to “How, and when, will it be done?” I believe that many years down the road, if we’re still around, this shift will be viewed as a historically significant turning point.

In addition, the acceptance of a such seemingly audacious goal of a “matter compiler” -- a device capable of building atomically precise products via computer control -- a goal to be completed in 3 to 5 years amplifies Ray Kurzweil’s claim that we’re currently on the exponential curve of technological advancement, and further underscores the dire need for effective public policies. As it stands, our lack of refined policy alternatives constitutes a serious crisis. Humanity can ill afford to be unprepared when molecular manufacturing makes its initial appearance.

How Uploading Works

I'm going for the second option when available.

I found this interesting food for thought as well.
I like how the thing that orbital quoted is filled with inaccuracies.

Cars being "invented" with the Model T, for example.
Or depicting the B-52 as a "supersonic" aircraft that's "almost" 900 feet long. :lol:
(its max speed is mach 0.86 and it is 159 feet long)

Apparently nanofuturists are too busy to be bothered with accuracy when making their absurd comparisons.

I like how the thing that orbital quoted is filled with inaccuracies.

Cars being "invented" with the Model T, for example.
Or depicting the B-52 as a "supersonic" aircraft that's "almost" 900 feet long. :lol:
(its max speed is mach 0.86 and it is 159 feet long)

Apparently nanofuturists are too busy to be bothered with accuracy when making their absurd comparisons.

The point is no less valid.

The two main ways of doing that have been proposed is either slicing the brain very gently and just scanning it in some way or injecting some kind of a nanotechnology entities into it that can look at and figure out how to emulate each neuron and either kill off that neuron and replace it, as that opportunity is available, or somehow stand alongside it and eventually have an image of every neuron in the whole brain that’s being transmitted out by these nanobots.

VIRUS TIME!!!!

Not really. You could argue the same thing about all the science fiction over the 20th century and yet so many things that were first mentioned in science fiction have come to fruition. Satellites, the internet, space flight, the list goes on. You might as well call heart transplantation science fiction because it was seen as you see mind uploading at one time.

And most of it was bullshit.
Hence the name, science FICTION.

Talk about FTL travel - can't.
The end of disease - can't.
Human longevity going into hundreds of years - can't.

Back