[Microsoft XP]Constitutional rights?

OneManArmy

Veteran XV
So I get a new Xbox 360 a week ago. I figured up a way to run my wireless internet connection through my Laptop into the Xbox (thus avoiding the $100 bullshit wireless fee).

Everything is going fine for about a week. I was enjoying my online play, when all of the sudden it stopped working. When I go to snoop around in my internet connections, I see Microsoft is wanting me to install something.

So of course I check it out. Microsoft was wanting me to install a program that lets them view my: Windows XP Product Key, my hard drive authorization code, and Microsoft Office product key.

So upon reading this I say, "Okay, this is different", and wondered what kind of benefits this would let me have (handing this information over would take some sort of incentive).

The license agreement went on to say how this software will not be removable once installed. Next, they have the arrogance to say they have the right to use this information to identify me, but not contact me via Email.

Of course I rejected the license agreement, then shut off the automatic windows upgrade feature.

Isn't this some sort of violation of our right to privacy? Lord knows how many dumb shits just click "I agree" and install.

You DO understand that all your rights just protect you from the government, right? Private (and publicly traded) businesses are not bound by any of those rights protecting you one bit.

To look at it in a more technical way, the constitution, bill of rights, etc, is a contract between you and the gov't. Since microsoft has no such agreement with you, they are not bound by it. It's like you having a contract with Best Buy to make payments for a tv, and expecting Circuit City to abide by that same contract.

You DO understand that all your rights just protect you from the government, right? Private (and publicly traded) businesses are not bound by any of those rights protecting you one bit.

This is a good point. I can understand why Microsoft would want that information, but who is there to tell them to stop at only what they specify?

This is a good point. I can understand why Microsoft would want that information, but who is there to tell them to stop at only what they specify?

God tells them, Davey.

ohdavey.jpg

wtf is with the fruit fuckers, brasstax?

btw I don't think the day crew will like that image.

When you click "agree" on those, you're accepting the patches as part of the contract which you're agreeing to.

If they didn't disclose everything in the contract (EULA or whatever), then you and everyone else would sue them.

Those guys are just friends. Haven't you ever plugged a melon?
No, but I can understand the enjoyment.

This girly man you speak of is more likely to take offense at the nakedness of the participants than at the object they are sharing.

No, but I can understand the enjoyment.

This girly man you speak of is more likely to take offense at the nakedness of the participants than at the object they are sharing.

It's been posted before. But, since you whined like a little bitch, it's NWS. Wahhhhhhhh.

To look at it in a more technical way, the constitution, bill of rights, etc, is a contract between you and the gov't. Since microsoft has no such agreement with you, they are not bound by it. It's like you having a contract with Best Buy to make payments for a tv, and expecting Circuit City to abide by that same contract.

Ferguson v Charleston.

A third party gaining any sort of information without your consent and releasing it to any authority is the same as the police doing a warrant-less search and is unconstitutional.

So not exactly. You are protected to some degree from private agencies snooping too far into your life.

In this case, Microsoft is probably doing it legally anyway, in accordance with the USAPA, because there is that dumbshit article that lets the government tell private agencies they have to release your personal information upon request and they don;t have to let you know they did it, in fact, there is a gag order on most of the companies that do release private info, so they can't tell you they did, even if they want to.

That all aside, you could challenge it on the grounds mentioned above if it ever became a problem, although I doubt this supreme court would side with you.

Umm, no, not at all.

Ferguson v Charleston.

A third party gaining any sort of information without your consent and releasing it to any authority is the same as the police doing a warrant-less search and is unconstitutional.

So not exactly. You are protected to some degree from private agencies snooping too far into your life.

In this case, Microsoft is probably doing it legally anyway, in accordance with the USAPA, because there is that dumbshit article that lets the government tell private agencies they have to release your personal information upon request and they don;t have to let you know they did it, in fact, there is a gag order on most of the companies that do release private info, so they can't tell you they did, even if they want to.

That all aside, you could challenge it on the grounds mentioned above if it ever became a problem, although I doubt this supreme court would side with you.

That little "I accept" thingie is giving away all the rights detailed in the EULA

Back