Computer probems (HELP)

ZProtoss

10,000++
Veteran XV
Long story short, buliding a new core of a pc from newegg. Everything setup fine, blah blah. Go to power it up, keyboard lights up, everything is spinning, however getting no light up on the monitor or any sign of activity. Help :x

(Athlon X2 4600, TForce 550 mobo if it helps)

Try a different monitor just to rule that out?

Try a different graphics card to rule that out?

(I'm just thowing ideas)

Reseat everything, or maybe swap out some parts piece by piece if you can to isolate something.

Done that with both the memory the graphics card once each now. The only other thing connected is the HD but I don't see how that'd be causing it.

Probably your Ram Latency timings. I have had similar problems

how would I check/fix this? (and atm I don't have another graphics card/machine to help troubleshoot on unfortunately. the machine im on now is too ancient for any of the stuff to be compatible)

Done that with both the memory the graphics card once each now. The only other thing connected is the HD but I don't see how that'd be causing it.

I've had bad CD-ROMS cause similar problems. I just kept telling myself nah it couldn't be that. Lo and behold it was. It even caused the same problem when installed on another PC.

If the latency timings are off, you will have to contact your rams manufacturer to get the correct timings. Then, you will need to contact your mobos tech support and have them walk you through resetting it. It usually involves either dip switches, or a set of 8 jumpers. Although on some, it takes an actual bios upgrade. Depends on the mobo.

take your video card and memory out, then turn on the mobo. Does it beep?

Another thing to try, disconnect everything except for memory and video and see what happens. Tons of stuff can cause a cpu to not boot. I've even seen a defective internal speaker do it.

If you take it out to return it, try booting it up outside of the case.

does your mbd have onboard video? if so, try it

if not or if you still get no vid I would disconnect everything but cpu/ram/psu, pull the ram, power on, see if you get any POST beeps (you may need to plug in headphones to hear this if there is no onboard speaker). If you aren't getting POST erros w/ no ram in its probably a bad mbd or cpu. If you are getting POST errors w/ no ram in, try resetting the CMOS.

k so I presume if im getting no beeps with just the psu, mobo and cpu connected, that one of them is fucked? if so, how do I determine which (without having a spare cpu on hand anyways)

When I got a new mb and an athlon cpu, I got something similar to you. There was a jumper that needs to be connected for it to work correctly. Check the manual.

I replaced the mb 2 times before I realized that was the prob. This was a new jumper, I'd never seen it before on other mobo's.

Well, reaver's tip did it. It wasn't a jumper setting, but I haven't built a computer in so long that I didn't realize there was an additional power connector for the cpu in addition to the motherboard. So yeah, plugged that in, and everything is booting up and being recognized now. Ram/Vid card/blah blah. Thanks everyone for the help and advice, it helped uncover my stupidity in this :D

Back