If you believe in a God, what is your description?

olaf

Veteran X
If its one of the more major religions such as Hinduism or Catholicism or something I'd still like to hear your basic belief and if you diverge from these religions in any way I would be interested in your personal modification of the religion. I'm very interested in what the people of the world believe. Also, throw in something about the afterlife too. Please tell me your region of the world as well. To the serious ones, thanks. I'll begin.

I think of God in the classical deist point of view. By that I mean that I think God created the universe and everything in it in one instance and left it up to us. I believe this instance exists within God and that this instance is right now (and eternal). The only way I can clarify this is by evoking an image that is more of a metaphor for something I can't explain. I think we're in the mind of God and that the universe is just a creation inside of his mind (remember, this is just a way of describing it and not a precise description). I believe he is all forgiving and that there is nothing we could possibly do to ever have God not be an all loving entity toward humans. I do not believe in a heaven or hell. For myself, I've narrowed the afterlife down to two possibilities. The first is the obvious eternal sleep. The second I would describe as a place with no image or setting where you can communicate freely amongst everyone that has died. I feel as if religion is an underestimation of God and his vast potential. To clarify (once again) I think that religion distracts humans from the true meaning of God and that many things described in the holy books of other religions is generally an underestimation of Gods power. What the hell is a seventh day to rest... you're God! :)
Region: Atlanta, Georgia

Yea I probably just fucked up. I am interested though so if anyone wants to really write up a few beliefs I'm going to be checking all day for some hopefully interesting ones.

God is an evil alien warlord who has a fleet of space-worthy DC-8s, and kills his surplus population by placing them around volcanoes and detonating them with H-Bombs.

Credo in unum Deum,
Patrem omnipoténtem,
factórem cæli et terræ,
visibílium ómnium et invisibílium.
Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum,
Fílium Dei Unigénitum,
et ex Patre natum ante ómnia sæcula.
Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero,
génitum, non factum, consubstantiálem Patri:
per quem ómnia facta sunt.
Qui propter nos hómines et propter nostram salútem
descéndit de cælis.
Et incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto
ex María Vírgine, et homo factus est.
Crucifíxus étiam pro nobis sub Póntio Piláto;
passus, et sepúltus est,
et resurréxit tértia die, secúndum Scriptúras,
et ascéndit in cælum, sedet ad déxteram Patris.
Et íterum ventúrus est cum glória,
iudicáre vivos et mórtuos,
cuius regni non erit finis.
Et in Spíritum Sanctum, Dóminum et vivificántem:
qui ex Patre Filióque procédit.
Qui cum Patre et Fílio simul adorátur et conglorifícatur:
qui locútus est per prophétas.
Et unam, sanctam, cathólicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam.
Confíteor unum baptísma in remissiónem peccatorum.
Et expecto resurrectionem mortuorum,
et vitam ventúri sæculi. Amen.

Why the fuck was your name changed?

Without getting to far into it there was someone on here that knew me in real life and some creepy things were happening. fortunately the admins were nice enough to allow me a change.

plus the kombat/combat thing just gets kind of confusing. Combatwombat probably is quite happy that he isn't associated with an idiot.

To life in general. Your fairy tales have no bearing on people's lives. (Or at least they shouldn't. Some people take this way too seriously)

Well I'm sorry I didn't make a much more relevant thread to peoples lives. That was my only goal and I messed it up.

Whats up your ass man? Cut me a little slack here.

Up until recently I thought I was a by-the-book Christian. But, lately I've become more and more disheartened and disgusted with the church body as a whole. I just got tired of all the doublespeak and rhetoric.

Personally, I still believe in the possibility in a God, but:

a) If he's with us / omnipresent, he sure isn't benevolent
b) If he does exist, he turned his head from our corner of the universe LONG ago

I refuse to believe in a 'Christian' God that 'loves his children so much', but refuses to intervene when it matters the most. How can the evil prosper in this world and the truly good people suffer?

I also just got sick of being told "that's the mystery of faith / god / jesus / etc" whenever I asked a logical question that couldn't be rationally explained. And let's not get into the fact that, sadly, a good portion of Christians are some of the most hateful people on the planet. If you want people to consider your religion, why not try to lead by example? :shrug:

I could go on, but I digress.

So, in closing, does a God exist? Possibly. If so, science can't explain or prove his existence. Science deals with the natural, a God would be supernatural. We couldn't hope to understand something like that using Science.

Blah, blah, words.... words.

Well I'm sorry I didn't make a much more relevant thread to peoples lives. That was my only goal and I messed it up.

Whats up your ass man? Cut me a little slack here.
Make whatever threads you want. I sure as hell have made my share of threads.

I guess I just think it's funny that you say religion distracts us from god when religion is what invented god in the first place.

Back