[Online] Gaming in the Future

OneManArmy

Veteran XV
I searched the database and I am pretty sure this isn't OFN.

How would you guys feel about subliminal advertising in video games? I am currently a student at Kelley School of Business (IU) and we were just assigned to come up with a marketing plan for a developing business. Details are below.

This is the future of online gaming (PC and console). Major television companies have recognized that there is an untouched audience (ages 18 to 34) who aren’t watching TV like they used to. With young and old people starting to shift over to other methods of entertainment, advertisers are looking to follow.

One such company, Massive Incorporated, noticed an untouched market of advertising in video games. Basically think of an advertisement in a game that changes every time you play it.
About Massive
Massive IncorporatedSM is the world’s first Video Game Network.
By aggregating the largest audience of gamers and delivering real-time advertising across top-selling video games, Massive provides publishers and developers with additional profit per unit shipped for their titles and gives advertisers the opportunity to effectively market to the gaming audience.
Massive is backed by DFJ Gotham, DFJ New England, RRE Ventures, NeoCarta Ventures, Tobat Capital and Newlight Associates. The company is based in New York City with offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Massive Incorporated - In Game Advertising

How it works:
Below you will see a diagram of how Massive works. Basically they will have their own server that will upload an advertisement to the gamer’s console. They have been working on this product since 2000 and supposedly have found a way to create advertisements in game without creating any sort of lag. (I thought resizing would make the following images to hard to read)

number1a.jpg

What they are already doing:
Below is another diagram of what they are already thinking about doing.

number2.jpg

Massive is different from advertising that already takes place in video games because they have the ability to change the advertisements at any time.

I know the idea of advertising in video games is going to piss many of you off, but you’re going to have to face the fact that it will happen. Microsoft bought out Massive in May of 06, so you know this will be here before you know it. Massive is estimating that the advertising for in-game advertising specifically could be as high as $2.5 billion by 2009.
With this said, the best finished project will get implementation consideration. Some of the ideas I have been hearing around the coffee table are as follows:

1.) Instead of a loading page, while coming and going from the lobby, there would be a commercial playing.
2.) During the loading screen the gamer would have the option of clicking on the ad that has held their interest. So if you have an interest in some sort of new product you could click the add and perhaps buy it online.
3.) We also were thinking about some sort of filter. Like keeping tampon ad’s off of a male gamers screen, while keeping condom ad’s off of female gamer screen.

What do you guys think about the subject?

I will keep you guys updated on the winner of the project and try to also get a copy of the winning paper.

I didn't read any of that.

You're a worthless meber.

What the fuck are you doing here, and why do you think we will help you?

Makes sense to put adds on "virtual billboards"

I don't care and it adds to the realism of the world anyway.

the only thing about advertising inside of a video game, is the user never sees a benefit.

the ad comapny pays the game designer, game designer pockets money. game designer still sells games for the standard price of 60 bucks.

bottom line, if i were to be getting ads in a game, i damn well better be paying less for the game than current prices

Akuma, I agree with virtual billboards and such making a video game more real. But where do the arms of advertising stop? Think about it. Everywhere you go it seems someone some where is trying to sell you something. Now they want live streaming media in our video games..... Where will it stop?

Isn't this the same shit that made everyone dump on BF2142?

sort of but what I think people had problems with was that information about that person was being sent back to EA sort of like spyware.

My take is, this is fine with me as long as it does not effect the game I could care less if there was a billboard with a bud light ad or mountian dew or whatever. What I would not want would be an ad that played typical of tv ads, you have to watch it in order to get to the next screen. If they wanted a moving talking add put it on the screen of and LCD mounted on the wall in a room. When you walk close enough you can hear the sound as if you were watching live tv.

I prefer the made up company names in video games that make fun of real businesses, like “Worst Buy” or “Kentucky Fried Rat”.

Everyone freaked out when they put real ads in BF2142 but so far it’s been a monumental failure, only Intel and a few Discovery Channel ads have shown up. I already have a computer and I didn’t watch the TV show advertised. Aside from that there’s ways to block the ads completely if you want.

If it gets rid of $14.99 a month games, fine by me. Someone will just make a crack to get rid of them.

Didnt this already get implemented in one of the lesser MMO's?Anarchy Online or whatever?

sort of but what I think people had problems with was that information about that person was being sent back to EA sort of like spyware.

If you look at the first diagram, steps 3 and 4 you will see that ad agencies expect some sort of sorting device. Don’t ask me what they are going to do for this, because I don’t know.

adfadf.jpg

I tried to blow it up for you, but it says:
Male, Age 18-34
Likes sports
Income: >100K

When I read over this case I wondered how they would get this kind of information.

Didnt this already get implemented in one of the lesser MMO's?Anarchy Online or whatever?

Massive is actually targeting MMOG’s. I guess there is something like 240 MMOG’s in development right now, and Massive is targeting a handful of them (Matrix, Crouching tiger hidden dragon, Minority Report, Lord of the rings and Harry Potter).

Well my ongoing research continues. Looks like Massive is going to use this m4d.dll to gather all of their information. Next question I have is who makes up the information guidelines and what information is fair game?

The company Massive Inc. ( Massive Incorporated - In Game Advertising ), which was purchased by Microsoft in May of 2006, is the producer of a bit of spyware which is now being included in many RETAIL computer games. The file is not detected by any spyware programs, because it only runs during game play. It is integrated into the game via the file m4d.dll, which is necessary to make the game run. If the file is altered or removed the game is unuseable.

Now, there is no mention of the data gathering which is done anywhere in the EULA of ToCA Race Driver 3. Nor is there any mention of it on the packaging, or otherwise. The spyware collects personally identifiable information and passes it on to Untitled Document which in turn places streaming ads in the game.

I wouldn't mind if there were real-In-game ads that changed... Like a poster on the wall of a level that was an advertisement for coke, or a billboard for Intel, etc.

Back