Any exchange admin using 2007 yet?

ScooBySnaCk

Tribalwar Overlord
Veteran XX
Ive had it running on a test bench for a bit but the change of hardware pricing to 64 bit only has put a little damper on things. Admin console is neat though. If you are running it holler cause I want to see your opinions.

I have been running it on Longhorn server in a test environment, I am quite happy and its definately an improvement over Exchange 2003.

I dont think so, its just using the default store provided by the Exchange 2007.

Do you have it using a SQL server for the message store?

2007 has a shadow copy feature of each store you have which by the way is no limit vs 4 on 2003. Did you mean by sql backend for hot swaping or just for logged reference?

2007 has a shadow copy feature of each store you have which by the way is no limit vs 4 on 2003. Did you mean by sql backend for hot swaping or just for logged reference?

I thought i read somewhere that the message store could be stored in a SQL database instead of the idiotic jet database that 2k3 uses.

Maybe i'm smokin crack.

Its possible..there were some 3rd party sql stores that worked with exchange that were pretty neat. Users could go to an internal website and do a search on any email whether it was archived deleted or not.

Yay for x64 spoofing via VMWare Server... will need to try it out shortly, I suppose.

I run it on VMware as well... I'm trying to see if I can get our google appliances to run the indexing for the exchange server. Haven't been able to stage it yet, so who knows if all the work done will pay off.

I thought i read somewhere that the message store could be stored in a SQL database instead of the idiotic jet database that 2k3 uses.

Maybe i'm smokin crack.

Given how big the push on SQL2k5 is, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Hmm.

are the mobile access functions better than 2k3?

Activesync?

Well.. everything i do on my 8525 (except documents, but that's not an exchange function) syncs over the air with my exchange 2k3 server. If i take a picture and assign it to a contact that picture is synced wirelessly to my mailbox contacts. THAT is freakin cool.

How could that be improved? Faster maybe?

This is totally not a tech/server/admin-related comment, but the fact that Outlook 2007 uses MS Word to render HTML e-mails fucking pisses me off.

Our e-broadcast system - like a lot of others - uses templates that include CSS coding, and MS Word will totally fuck those up when they get displayed in Outlook 2007.

Now we have to completely revise every damned template. Give me a break - MS Word? Are you fucking kidding me?

This is totally not a tech/server/admin-related comment, but the fact that Outlook 2007 uses MS Word to render HTML e-mails fucking pisses me off.

Our e-broadcast system - like a lot of others - uses templates that include CSS coding, and MS Word will totally fuck those up when they get displayed in Outlook 2007.

Now we have to completely revise every damned template. Give me a break - MS Word? Are you fucking kidding me?

I remember the article posted on TW about that.

All i can say is :shrug: I am happy with straight text emails and the ability to paste pictures in to them. That's all I (or the rest of the users i support) need. I've come very close to disabling HTML emails anyway.

Last edited:
Given how big the push on SQL2k5 is, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Hmm.

During the early stages of the development phase of Exchange Server 2007, rumors about changing the store to SQL circulated the Internet. But these plans were dropped relatively quickly and chances are we won’t see an Exchange product where the store is based on SQL before E15 (yes that’s the version after E14!). But this doesn’t mean that Exchange Server 2007 doesn’t introduce any store related changes and improvements, because although the Exchange still is based on a more or less unchanged ESE database a lot of work went into providing a much more scalable, reliable, and optimized product which performs better than was the case with previous versions of Exchange.

Taken from:

Exchange 2007 Store Related Changes and Improvements

Budget wise its going to be a long time before we goto 07. Hopefully after things get quieter 3q around here we will start playing with it in test environment.

On a similiar note to you mobile nerds - I just upgraded to Vista yesterday at work and found Active Sync is gone. You have to get Windows Mobile Control Center. You can download it from M$ - it didn't install by default for me (Vista Business).

On a similiar note to you mobile nerds - I just upgraded to Vista yesterday at work and found Active Sync is gone. You have to get Windows Mobile Control Center. You can download it from M$ - it didn't install by default for me (Vista Business).

IMO, sync from cradle defeats the point of mobile access. Setup the wireless connection to the exch server and be done with it.

Back