Microwaves

Caswell

Veteran XX
Going to pick-up a microwave tomorrow. So far, all I know is I want to spend $100-200 and have it stainless steel or black. Apart from that, I don't even know what to look for. The wife says she wants the preset buttons (popcorn, etc), but I find them useless.

So, experts of TW, recommend brands, models, or features/specs to look for.

Yeah, I manually type in the exact amount of time that I wish to bombard food with electromagnetic radiation in the microwave wavelength.

the preset buttons actually work?

I usually find everything undercooked or completely nuked with them

Get one with a temperature sensor ... you just press on that button, then start and it will cook it to the perfect temperature.

CR Quick Recommendations Microwave ovens

Most models did a respectable job of basic microwaving tasks such as defrosting meats, reheating leftovers, or making popcorn. Whichever unit you consider, you'll probably pay more for an oven with a larger capacity, stainless-steel finish, lots of presets, and additional functions such as convection. Microwaves that did well at convection cooking, though, rarely excelled at more common functions.

The Ratings rank models by overall performance. Quick Picks includes models that deliver notable strengths--in space efficiency as well as everyday cooking--and value.

Quick Picks

For a basic countertop unit:

• Kenmore (Sears) 6325[2] , $110, CR Best Buy
• GE JE1460F , $130, CR Best Buy

The Kenmore (Sears) 6325[2] was easy to use and excelled in our defrosting test. Both of these microwaves are space-efficient (they take up the same amount of counter space) and offer detailed prompts for automated functions. For $20 more, the GE JE1460F is slightly more spacious and was better at heating foods evenly, though a notch lower at defrosting. Neither model, though, is available in stainless steel.
For a countertop microwave with more features or capacity:

• Daewoo WM1010CC , $150
• GE Profile JE2160F , $170
• GE Profile JES2251SJ[SS] , $220

The midsized Daewoo WM1010CC was the only countertop with convection to also score very good or better at both heating evenly and defrosting. But it lacks sensor-controlled cooking functions. The GE Profile JES2251SJ[SS]and the GE Profile JE2160F are microwaves only but offer more features than most and have 1.5 cubic feet of usable capacity. Both are available in stainless steel and have a large enough turntable for a 9x15-inch dish to rotate freely. The GE JE1460F even lets you turn down the beeper volume.

For an over-the-range model:

• LG LMV2053[ST] , $300, CR Best Buy

We weren't terribly impressed with the OTR models that offered convection and other extra cooking functions to recommend any. But for a reasonable price, the LG LMV2053[ST] scored better at heating foods evenly and defrosting than models twice its price. Its usable capacity and turntable diameter are those of a midsized unit. Though the turntable can be turned off to accommodate a larger dish, you'll have to stir the food. We can't yet report on this newer brand's repair history.

Back