[tech] Question regarding emails on smartphones

Kahüla

Veteran XV
I'm honestly confused about the whole situation. If you guys can help me figure this out, that'd be great.

I work for customer support in a company that provides a web-based software to real estate agents. So basically agents can send messages via this software to agents and admin staff of their whole real estate board. All messages are sent via text messaging, would it be on alphanumeric pagers, cellphones, email or email redirected on smartphones.

Here's the problem : I had a customer call me who has a Treo 650. His messages' destination is an email adress redirected on his phone. It's the email adress from his office, so he gets them in a regular email inbox too.

Right now, he can receive his emails in the email inbox, but doesn't receive them on his phone. We tried several configurations, tested a few things, but never succeeded. He did get ONE email from someone using the software on his phone, but after that : nada. So we know it can work, and he didn't change anything on his phone after receiving this one and last email.

He called his provider, they supposedly made some tests on their side and said everything is ok. Now he's waiting for his tech guy to check the mail server they use at the office and all that crap, but I don't think the problem is there, because he does get the emails in his regular mailbox.

First I thought it could just be delayed, it happened a few times to me with my blackberry that I'd receive emails in my inbox, but get them several hours later on my phone ... but now, we waited 24h, and he still hasn't got anything.

:confused: Help ?! and no I can't ask the tech guy here at the office, he's been sick for the last 2 days ...

cliffs : Smartphones are crap sometimes.

none of the info above could possibly give someone any idea of what is happening with the "private software" interaction with his TREO.......

^^ What do you need as info then ? I'm not going to provide any names.

Damn. I need to figure this out before monday.

user error. if he really received at least one e-mail using it, then he had to have changed something (if the service provider already confirmed everything is a-ok on their end)

edit: try to complicate the situation in hopes of solving it. have him open up a gmail account and then setup gmail's pop3 settings and let the smartphone grab it from there? maybe it's his software.

Last edited:
user error. if he really received at least one e-mail using it, then he had to have changed something (if the service provider already confirmed everything is a-ok on their end)

edit: try to complicate the situation in hopes of solving it. have him open up a gmail account and then setup gmail's pop3 settings and let the smartphone grab it from there? maybe it's his software.

We tried with his other personal email adress as well, didn't work.

I even entered my personal email adress in his profile (which is redirected on my Blackberry) and it worked, I received the email on it within 15 seconds.

I don't know about this gmail pop3 settings ... what is it supposed to do ? He's an old man and he's already pretty confused right now, don't know if that'd be the best idea, but I could give it a try.

What sucks is that he's like 1500miles away, so I can't even take a look at his cell and its current settings.

Back