[iPhone] Lessons from the dumbest man alive

CapnPyro

Contributor
Veteran XX
What a fucking daft tit this guy is, meet John Dvorak being interviewed on the Street Signs segment of CBS marketwatch;

Burnett: The iPhone. Who cares about that?

Dvorak: Well, that was the big announcement at CES, which was the announcement at the Macworld Expo here in San Francisco which was the iPhone which doesn't look, I mean to me, I'm looking at this thing and I think it's kind of trending against, you know, what's really going, what people are really liking on, in these phones nowadays, which are those little keypads. I mean, the Blackjack from Samsung, the Blackberry, obviously, you know kind of pushes this thing, the Palm, all these... And I guess some of these stocks went down on the Apple announcement, thinking that Apple could do no wrong, but I think Apple can do wrong and I think this is it.

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KERaBIgIYVU

MacDailyNews Take: John Dvorak's direct ancestor, circa 3,500 B.C., regarding the wheel, "I think it's kind of trending against, you know, what's really going, what people are really liking on, in transport nowadays, which are those sleds we drag around. I mean, everybody else has sleds, obviously, you know, kind of pushes the things around, everyone... I think that guy Steve with his crazy wheel thing can do wrong and I think this is it."

Good news for Apple! There's no stronger guarantee of success than Dvorak's kiss of death on an Apple product.

Shamelessly stolen from Mac Daily News; http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/12295/

well it is true that touchscreens, such as with the Treo/Trio , suck and are hard to use. buttons are the way to go

I've used a PDA/phone that only has the touchpad for buttons. It really sucks for dialing anything with your fingers. You pretty much need a stylus to dial properly or a voice dial.

Wait, did Dvorak say that iPhone was announced at CES? I thought for sure that it was announced at Macworld. I know AAPL had announced that it would have a big release during Macworld, and the techies were complaining because CES and Macworld are going on simultaneously.

Meh. Whatever. iPhone looks neat. If you want a good laugh, look for the interview that CNBC had with Balmer. The part where they ask him what he thinks of the iPhone was pretty funny. The guy is such a dweeb. :lol:

I've used a PDA/phone that only has the touchpad for buttons. It really sucks for dialing anything with your fingers. You pretty much need a stylus to dial properly or a voice dial.
Oh, here's some videos on the iPhone. It might help you change your mind. Motorola also developed something similar called "finger writing" or something stupid like that.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid86195573/bclid86272812/bctid412163290

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid86195573/bclid86272812/bctid412163296

The iPhone looks like an excellent product, and I suspect that its price point will be taken by the general public. If there's one thing that Apple is good at doing, it's marketing and convincing people that Apple products are "cool."

I have a Treo650 and I can't imagine not having the keypad sometimes.
Have you seen the 680's? Those things look fan-fucking-tastic. However, Palm supposedly had some problems at the factory during the manufacturing of the 680's. From what I remember on CNBC, they forgot to put a part in a large number of the phones and had to have them all shipped back to the factory to have the part installed. I was going to get one until I heard that, and then I also heard that the next Pearl is going to have WiFi. :shrug:

I'll have to actually play with one before I'm sold on the interface. Apple usually makes them pretty smooth but I'm not sure about a phone with no buttons.

That being said, hopefully Apple can make it look cool enough that the $600 price points doesn't effect it.

Edit: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sprint-PPC-6700.htm
That is the phone that I've used. Although dialing sucks, the full qwerty keyboard makes up for it.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure why everyone is creaming themselves over the iPhone. Could someone explain what's so mind blowing about it?

I'll have to actually play with one before I'm sold on the interface. Apple usually makes them pretty smooth but I'm not sure about a phone with no buttons.

That being said, hopefully Apple can make it look cool enough that the $600 price points doesn't effect it.

Edit: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Sprint-PPC-6700.htm
That is the phone that I've used. Although dialing sucks, the full qwerty keyboard makes up for it.
i have the ppc6700, but recently switched back to my a900. i found that eventually i didn't really use the keyboard too often, and ended up with a fat touchscreen phone that was hard to use... even w/ skins to make the buttons bigger. i suppose if it was skinny as an iphone i might like it.

I though alpine had some tactile touchscreen thing.... that would be nice for a touchscreen-only phone.

i think that apple does sensors better than anybody else and thats why ipod is so great and also why iphone will gain popularity.

I don't understand the excitement about the iPhone either. It is certainly not as revolutionary (even accounting for hyperbole) as the wheel. In fact its not even remotely revolutionary. The touchscreen will let it down, no matter how many people feel that Apple somehow have the magical ability to make touchscreens work where everyone else has failed. The cost is a huge factor as is the required switch to Cingular.

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5916aOMQNI&eurl= the LG KE 850, due out in March this year may not have the Aero-Glass OS stylings and the multitouch screen, but if it makes it onto a US network it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

It sucks that the wireless feature is kind of lacking. I would think they would not want to make the same mistake MS did with Zune, but once again the wireless of the device is not used to its full potential. (e.g. let us connect the iphone to our comp using wifi and ability to transfer songs, etc)

In addition to the wifi being almost as crippled as on the Zune, people thought that in running OS X, there would be loads of 3rd party apps developed for it, which would have actually been pretty damn good as many could have been reworked from existing desktop versions. Apple have, unfortunately, said that its a closed system, the only people who can write apps for it are Apple themselves.

After the initial buzz it seems the majority of most of those who write about the industry and work it in, say it is, at best, evolutionary but nowhere near revolutionary, especially for something that is slated for a June release this year.

It would be interesting to know how many of the technical limitations like no third party apps, no iChat, no wireless syncing, and no direct downloading from iTunes were non-negotiable requirements by Cingular.

The excuse about no third party apps because they might run amok and kill the network is pure bullshit. The carriers have years of experience with customers running third party apps with PocketPCs and smartphones.

I bet it's it's more like the greedy fucks don't want to let anyone else compete by selling something that they themselves might be able to bill you for as a service.

Ultimately, both parties are to blame, Apple no doubt want to sell you services and so do Cingular, it's probably a combination of the two and both are very happy with the situation.

Back