Linux/Unix: server distro % for industry

LoQuetis

Veteran-5
I am looking for any industry research regarding the percentages of server distro's of the Linux/Unix family.

Can any of you admins out there help?

:google:

Edit: Part of living the Open Source life is learning to do your own research as there are fewer resources for spoon-feeding in the OSS world. No offense intended to you at all; more of an attempt to help you succeed in this space. In the interim, try Netcraft.

Last edited:
I have no idea who would even track that kind of data. What servers are you looking for percentages on? All servers in the world?

you wont get any kind of reasonably reliable data w/o paying a research firm for it. gartner and groups like them would at least have a ball park figure but you have to pay to get their reports afaik.

Uh...what kind of server? Database? Directory services? Web server? App server? Fileserver? There are so many different types.

I have worked in a Solaris shop, an HP/UX shop, 2 Suse Linux shops, and now I live in AIX land.

Uh...what kind of server? Database? Directory services? Web server? App server? Fileserver? There are so many different types.

I have worked in a Solaris shop, an HP/UX shop, 2 Suse Linux shops, and now I live in AIX land.

I need you to get me an internship wherever you work.

:google:

Edit: Part of living the Open Source life is learning to do your own research as there are fewer resources for spoon-feeding in the OSS world. No offense intended to you at all; more of an attempt to help you succeed in this space. In the interim, try Netcraft.

I have already looked at Google. I have found some breakouts but more on the desktop distros. I was hoping someone in TW may have seen similar for server distros.

My company designs/manufactures equipment for the IT industry and I'm looking for data to direct our design team for the proper Linux/Unix distro coverage.
AIX, HP/UX, SLES, Redhat and Solaris are already is dev, but I'm interested in knowing how much the industry is using distros such as Ubuntu, Mandrake etc.

I have already looked at Google. I have found some breakouts but more on the desktop distros. I was hoping someone in TW may have seen similar for server distros.

My company designs/manufactures equipment for the IT industry and I'm looking for data to direct our design team for the proper Linux/Unix distro coverage.
AIX, HP/UX, SLES, Redhat and Solaris are already is dev, but I'm interested in knowing how much the industry is using distros such as Ubuntu, Mandrake etc.

Can't help ya with the data.

Well the last two are Desktop distributions so it stands to reason they won't be used often for web servers. Wouldn't they choose Redhat if they wanted a desktop-like distro as a webserver?

Also, I'm suprised you didn't mention Debian among one of the distros your company will be manufacturing for. I did a search based on my suprise and I found this:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/08/16/debian_linux_distribution_10_years_old_today.html

First, you have to realize that developing a strategy going forward on what is currently deployed in the industry is not ideal. Second, you have to realize that it's impossible for anyone to have accurate data on what you are looking for. There is no metadirectory that each *nix distro speaks to to say, "hi I'm here, please count me."

What you can do is evaluate the trend and OSS projects in current development. And if you do want some arbitrary numbers to throw at your Devs to justify incorporating Fedora Core or BSD, try www.distrowatch.com

"hi I'm here, please count me."
This makes me picture a little server waving its little hands around, saying "I'm here" please count me!" Then I chuckle cuz it's so cute.

Not like I know anything, but it sounds like this guy's asking for the rough equivalent of "What percentage of car drivers use non-name brand tires?" GL getting results, especially when the mindset of a lot of users of these things is to get away from big companies and trackability.

I need you to get me an internship wherever you work.

No internship needed. I had a 22-year-old kid working with me at my last job, and his starting salary was just shy of $60K. He quit after a year, moved to LA, and now does linux admin work for Ticketmaster. Damn them young kids! :)

Seriously - just learn everything there is to know about Linux, get your LPIC certification, and go get a job somewhere. You could even join the military and help them out with their systems (and, you'll get a high level clearance to boot).

Back