Ever been to Paris?

My wife and I are planning to go in the Spring, around the end of April. If you've been:

- Know any good restaurants?
- Any tips for the city?
- Anything special we should know?

yeah, i went back in 2001....had a blast actually. don't remember any of the places i ate though.

went to the modern art museum (pompidu center or something like that) and the louvre of course...which 1 day a week is free to go to, i think its either monday or tuesday. the graveyard that jim morrison is buried in is pretty cool...oscar wilde is also buried there. the catacombs with all the bones is also pretty f'ing cool and creepy.

I went to the Palace of Versailes. Its lined with gold leaf, though most of it has faded away. It was supposed to be a palace made of gold.

Its grounds are full of black people trying to sell you shit.

last time I was in paris was 10 years ago as a starving student, so just about everything I know about paris is probably pretty useless.

only bit of advice I'd have is to at least greet people in french, and then apologize for not speaking more french...that seemed to work pretty good for me. and if anyone, upon recognizing you're american, attempts to tell you how crappy the US is and how much they hate george bush, just don't bother engaging it/try not to engage it if possible. whether you like GW or not is really irrelevant. you can tell them you hate GW and our current policies and they'll still complain to you, or you can tell them they're full of shit in which case you'll end up in an argument.

The city is an open air museum. The Louvre is definitely the most interesting historical monument of the city. For more recent art see the Musee D'Orsay. There are also museums of Rodin and Picasso. The most interesting things about Paris are the neighborhoods and parks, not really buildings. Although in Place du Concorde there is an obelisk from Luxor that is a few thousand years old, this is also the same square where people were hung during the Revolution.

Neighborhoods : Montmartre, St Germain and all along the Seine will be beautiful in Spring

Parks - Jardin des Plantes and Luxombourg gardens

I echo most of what Got Haggis said (I went in 2002, though, for six months). the graveyards in paris are fantastic, the catacombs are cool too. The latter is done through a formal tour, but the former you do just by picking a direction and walking around. The one with Chopin in it was nice. I also saw Zola, a few mathematicians, but the fun part about them is the serenity in the middle of the city. I think musee d'orsay is the best museum in paris, personally -- but you have to like impressionism to like it. there was one restaurant, between Goncourt and Bastilles subway stations, that was new when i was there, and had insanely low prices and unbelievably good food and atmosphere -- when I was there there was never anyone in it because it was brand new, but it was quite small with a glass front, excellent service and a perfect place to eat. It's like ~4 blocks north-northeast of Place de la Bastille on the Southbound side (the western sidewalk) of Boulevard Richard le Noir (pretty much in the center of this map by Breguet Sabin station). I can't guarantee it's still there since it's been a few years, but it was worth going to at the time -- and it's near things that you might see anyway so you can walk by and check.

God I miss that city. Oh, and be careful when walking on the sidewalks: there is always dogshit all over them.

My wife and I are planning to go in the Spring, around the end of April. If you've been:

- Know any good restaurants?
- Any tips for the city?
- Anything special we should know?

I was there two years ago right after the London bombings...

It is a very expensive town, if you are with a female you will have many great but expensive dates. Beer is expensive.

The Louvre is a must see as well as the Eifel tower. It is a city of romance and not a 'fun' city. Use romance to your advantages.

Good restauants are everywhere I suggest going places that have english on the menus as you can get weird crap if you dont.

Enjoy the city and see the sites, eat well and make sure you see the Eifel tower do its light show at least once. It is incredable.

Also never drive in Paris unless you are a veteran UK driver. Its scary,.

well that would depend on if you were going to

paris.jpg

or

ky.jpg

Back