Calling Gods of Photoshop [help]

Skeletor666

Merried Man
Veteran XX
How can I make a photo into a cartoon in Photoshop?

I have been trying a couple of tutorials I found on the web but all of the ones I have found make the picture I am using look crappy.

For example I am trying to turn this photo into more of a cartoon look for a paintball poster but from what I have tried I end up with something that looks like I just used a shitty filter

biggame5copy.jpg

If you've got the time, on a new layer, paint over the original.

example:

godwarriororig.jpg
godwarrior.jpg

you can leave out a lot of detail and have a more cartoonish feel.

If you've got the time, on a new layer, paint over the original.

example:

godwarriororig.jpg
godwarrior.jpg

you can leave out a lot of detail and have a more cartoonish feel.

thats a good example :lol:. If you have less time you can use the pen tool and create a vector illustration. OR you can just pay me and I'll do it for you.

It'd be easier to use Illustrators Live Trace features to get that cartoony cutout effect. Photoshop has one, but its much easier to manipulate vector art to your liking.

this is what I ended up with what do the pros think?

[/img]http://home.earthlink.net/~skeletor666/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/biggame100.jpg[/img]

:shrug:

pretty sloppy. Personally, I'd spend the time to paint the entire thing from scratch (i.e painting over the original with solid colors). Filters blow. You could make it look nice without going into much detail on shading, only using 1 or 2 darker variations of the main colors to add depth.

Like this:

usmc.jpg

Go with a plain white background (easier for printing and looks sharp) and use solid text with out the beveled fonts. It's ok to outline text or even drop shadows but bevelled txt is almost as pretentious as lens flares.

Last edited:
Well I didn't have a whole lot of time to redraw the entire thing from scratch the game is on the 21st and i haven't had a whole lot of free time with the holidays and other shit.

I did touch it up after using the filters it looked much worse but I agree I was just polishing a turd.

I also don't have a tablet either and I can barely draw by hand let alone with a mouse. I can go over edges but the shadowing is where I need practice.

What did the original pic of the USMC look like?

The USMC pic was just freehand.

If you don't have artistic practice to do something like then then it's just as easy to take a real picture, of virtually anything, using layers, to paint over it using the original as a guide.

The great thing about a tablet is that you get the different levels of pressure sensitivity so you can easily vary the thickness of lines, which helps a lot to give it more of a cartoon feel. I could tell you were using a mouse.

creating depth using shadow is very easy for a simple cartoon look. All you do is imagine where the recessed areas would be and use a couple variations of darker color to shade those edges. And then you can accentuate the picture by using lighter colors to highlight areas of the picture that naturally be in the light.

Last edited:
Back