3yr old ground beef

SeVeReD

Contributor
Veteran XX
I've tried calling a couple friends, but they ain't home. i'll google, but I thought i'd post this interesting question here.
3 year old frozen ground beef... is it any good? Thought I'd cook it up for my dogs... pls don't kill my dogs TW.

google is saying no
Q: How long will beef last in my freezer?
A: When kept properly frozen, beef typically stays fresh, ready to thaw and eat for at least one year.

but then again, They're dogs.. they don't care what it tastes like much... will it kill em though?
It's cooking as we "speak". I'm browning the hell outta it... but i ain't feeding it to the dogs till i search some more.

Last edited:
Freezing Guidelines
Bulk beef purchases should be frozen quickly. For those who must do their own freezing, no more than 10% of the capacity of a home freezer, wrapped in no more than one-cubic-foot quantities, should be frozen at one time. Freezing does not improve the taste or overall acceptability of beef. It merely preserves the condition of the beef at the time of freezing. Frozen beef should be stored in the freezer at a constant 0ƒF (-18ƒC) or colder. To preserve the fresh beef flavor, it should not be stored in the freezer for more than one year; ground beef should not be kept more than six months.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-003/458-003.html

it's been frozen so it's probably safe to eat, but will taste like shit

From what I'm reading it shouldn't be unhealthy. It won't taste as good, but as long as it's frozen and airtight, then it should be OK to eat.

why now after three years have you decided to eat said beef. You could not be a cheapass and go buy 3 dollars worth of new meat so your dog doesn't die.

Does it look fine?

It should be good...just get rid of any bad looking stuff.

I read where some researchers ate frozen whooly oxen that was in siberia...that was like thousands of years old.

Ya. Just talked to my "cook" friend who asked a couple questions then said it's safe. It's been well frozen, no freezer burn, smells ok.. I'm giving it to the 14 year old who has been off her diet. She's pretty much is at the end of her life and won't eat her food, hoping this stimulates her.

Back