I just installed Ubuntu

ubuntu-ubuntu-ubuntu-hah!

TradingPlaces59.jpg

There is something about that pic that makes me happy.

CrazyLeg, I need to talk to you more about moving down there.

It is all good until you realize it is missing quilty applications for simple shit like binary newsgroup grabber, ftp with a gui, and a decent media player with iPod support.

I used it for a few months this school year. Went back to windows this month.

i'm not sure 64 bit was a good idea, you shouldn't listen to link as far as linux he's still a noobie

Don't make me nerdfight you here on tw :fight:

I have been using linux for 2 years now, so am pretty advanced as far as regular users go. I recommended the 64bit edition because he wanted to try a 64bit OS and was wondering abotu vista. I told him to try ubuntu64 because it has a lot more support than vista does right now.

It is all good until you realize it is missing quilty applications for simple shit like binary newsgroup grabber, ftp with a gui, and a decent media player with iPod support.

gftp? doesn't that come pre-installed? I also had a newsgroup grabber but i never use them so i didn't reinstall it when i upgraded.

Same here.

yeah, but the correct advice is that there is no good 64 bit support and to avoid it at this time, as you aren't getting anything except headaches and incompatibility for doing it

and you'll always be a noobie to me

there are like 50 ipod apps, yamipod, songbird can do it, plus the amaroK, etc linux players, that's just dumb. I don' tknow about newsreaders, but if you can't find a linux FTP prog you're simply hopeless

I lost count of how many times I had to reinstall Ubuntu, because of the small shitty things that mess it up completely.

Back